· PhD, Psychology, University of Florida, 2004
· MA, Speech-Language Pathology, University of Florida, 2005
· MS, Psychology, University of Florida, 1999
· BA, Psychology, College of the Holy Cross, 1997
· Child Language Development and Disorders
· Autism Spectrum Disorder
· Interprofessional Education and Interprofessional Practice
· Scholarship of Teaching and Learning
· CSD 3100: Language Development
· CSD 6020: Child Language Disorders I: Birth to Five
· CSD 6130: Speech Sound Development and Disorders
· CSD 6900: Counseling in Communication Sciences and Disorders
· IHS 3934/5934: Experiential Learning
· Certificate of Clinical Competence in Speech-Language Pathology (CCC-SLP), American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, 2007-present.
· Licensed Speech-Language Pathologist, State of Ohio, 2007-present.
· Benigno, J. P., McCarthy, J. W., Reese, P. B., Wright, B. M., & Tewanger, C. (in
press). Graduate students’ perspectives on integrating clinical experiences and coursework on autism spectrum disorder: a pilot study. Perspectives of the ASHA Special Interest Groups.
· Wright, B. M., Benigno, J. P., Boster, J.B., Coologhan, B.K., & McCarthy, J. W.
(in press). Tell me about your picture:” Using drawings to support expressive language in children with autism. Communication Disorders Quarterly.
· Benigno, J. P., Taylor, S., Hamm, H. L., Wright, B. M. & McCarthy, J. W. (in press).
Training university students about autism spectrum disorder through outreach to school-based speech-language pathologists. Teaching and Learning in Communication Sciences & Disorders.
· Wright, B. M. & Benigno, J. P. (2019). Autism spectrum disorder and sibling
relationships: Exploring implications for intervention using a family systems framework. American Journal of Speech-Language Pathology, 28, 759-767.
· McCarthy, J. W., Benigno, J. P., Broach, J., Boster, J. B., & Wright, B. M. (2018).
Identification and drawing of early concepts in children with autism spectrum disorder and children without disabilities. Augmentative and Alternative Communication, 35, 155-165.
· Benigno, J. P., McCarthy, J. W., Taylor, S., Wright, B., & Lee, C.-Y. (2018). Training
graduate and undergraduate students about autism through community outreach to families. Teaching and Learning in Communication Sciences & Disorders,3(1), 1-16.
· Brown, L., Benigno, J.P., & Geist, K. (2018). Come together: Music therapy and
speech-language pathology students’ perspectives on collaboration during an inclusive
camp for children with autism spectrum disorders. Music Therapy Perspectives, 36, 17-25.
· Tompkins, V., Benigno, J. P., Lee, B., & Wright, B. (2018). Parents’ mental state talk
and children’s theory of mind: a meta-analysis. Social Development, 27, 223-246.
· Boster, J. B., Benigno, J. P., & McCarthy, J. W. (2017). New models, same principles:
using language development theories to drive the design of supportive augmentative
and alternative communication systems. Perspectives of the ASHA Special Interest Groups, 2, 40-54.
· Farrar, M. J., Benigno, J. P., Tompkins, V., & Gage, N. (2017). Are there different
pathways to explicit false belief understanding? general language and complementation
in typical and atypical children. Cognitive Development, 43, 49-66.
· Co-Principal Investigator: Ohio Arts Council: Arts Next. Unlocking Music Potential Across the Lifespan. $10,697; 2019.
· Co-Principal Investigator: Ohio University Baker Fund. Title: Camp R.O.C.K.: Reaching Out and Connecting Kids. $10,905; 2017.
· Principal Investigator: Training future SLPs about autism through outreach to school SLPs in rural Appalachia. Autism Speaks Local Grants Program. $5,000; 2016.
· Co-Investigator: The arts research teaching and service learning lab (ARTS Lab). Planning grant-innovative pilot projects. $19,931; 2015.
· Principal Investigator: 1804 Fund, Ohio University. Title: Enhancing Undergraduate Student Learning Through the Construction of Evidence-Based Materials to Families of Children with Autism with Graduate Student and Faculty Mentorship. $20,700; 2014.
Awards and Honors
· Bruning Teaching Academy Fellow, Ohio University, 2019-2020.
· Recipient, Outstanding Mentor Award, Cutler Scholars Program, Ohio University, 2016, 2019.
· Recipient, Outstanding Tutor Award, Honors Tutorial College, Ohio University, 2017.
· Finalist, Ohio University Presidential Teacher Award, Ohio University, 2017.
· Recipient, Outstanding Mentor Award, Cutler Scholars Program, Ohio University. AY 2015-2016.
· Finalist, College of Health Sciences and Professions Outstanding Teaching Award, 2016.
· Recipient, Lee Cibrowski Faculty Advising and Mentoring Award, Ohio University, 2015.
· Coordinator of Professional Programs, Communication Sciences and Disorders, 2013-present
· First Year Council University Standing Committee. Co-Chair 2015-2019.
· Selection Panel Member, Cutler Scholars Program. 2016; 2018.
· CHSP Diversity and Inclusion Committee, 2018-present
· Review Committee, Perspectives of the ASHA Special Interest Groups. 2018-present.
· Editorial Board Member, Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 2018-present.