Academic Assistance at the
OHIO Student Success Center
Fall Semester 2021
Ohio University Chillicothe Student Success Center
The mission of the Ohio University Chillicothe Student Success Center is to create and maintain a welcoming, supportive learning environment for students and to address the immediate academic needs of students - of all levels of proficiency - through individualized peer-to-peer tutoring. These services are developed FREE of charge for all currently enrolled OHIO Chillicothe students.
The Student Success Center promotes student learning through the following programs:
- Math Center
- Writing Center
- Appointment-based, Academic Tutoring
Tutoring sessions are available during the following times:
Writing Walk-In Hours (in person)
- Mondays – Thursdays: 11am - 4pm
Math Walk-In Hours (in person and virtual via LINK )
- Mondays and Wednesdays: 11:30 am - 2 pm
Face-to-face times are available in the SSC located within the Stevenson Center. For additional appointments, please contact Debra Nickles, firstname.lastname@example.org or Kimber Lang, email@example.com. Online peer tutoring is also available through The Academic Achievement Center (AAC).
All tutors can assist with Math courses: D003, D004, D005, 1200, and 1300. Tutors are available at select times for Math courses: 1090, 1101/1102, 1350, 2301, and 2500. *Please note that not all tutors can help with every math class.
Experience the expertise of our well-prepared and friendly tutors. Our tutors can assist with assignments and help you to understand concepts! Please note that it is against policy for tutors to assist directly with graded assignments, take-home exams and quizzes, Knowledge Checks (ALEKS), Certify (HAWKES), etc…
Contact Kimber Lang, OHIO Chillicothe Math Center Director, with additional questions or needs: firstname.lastname@example.org .
Whether you are researching, writing a first draft, double-checking citations, or just sitting scratching your head, the Writing Center can help you with your writing projects. Our staff of trained and skilled writing tutors offers individual sessions.
Contact Debra Nickles, OHIO Chillicothe Writing Center Director, with additional questions or needs: email@example.com.
Remember, the Student Success Center also offers:
- MLA /APA Workshops
- Writing Contests
- Publication Opportunities through Glass Enclosures
- Presentations (upon instructor’s request)
- Guides and Helpful Handouts
Online Peer Tutoring
The Academic Achievement Center (AAC) provides in-person and online tutoring appointments that empower students to achieve independent academic success. Students meet with peer tutors to review principles, learn content-specific study strategies, and deepen knowledge in historically difficult courses across many disciplines. Similarly, students engage writing tutors to collaborate at any point during the writing process to focus ideas and polish their expression. The AAC’s services are FREE to students enrolled at Ohio University’s Athens and regional campuses.
Beginning the second week of the fall semester, tutoring appointments are available during the following times:
- Mondays – Thursdays: 9am - 8pm
- Fridays: 9am - 5pm
- Sundays: 4pm - 8pm
Visit www.ohio.edu/uc/aac/tutoring-services to schedule a tutoring appointment through TutorTrac. You can also make weekly or one-time appointments on the same-day or in advance by calling the AAC at 740-566-8888 or emailing a tutoring request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
In accordance with both University codes regarding academic honesty and time-proven learning strategies, the Student Success Center follows these policies:
- Students are responsible for their own writing projects. We do not write any part of a student's essay; however, we are happy to discuss effective writing strategies at length.
- Do not proofread or edit student essays. Instead, we help identify individualized patterns of error that can be corrected, helping to strengthen the writer’s strategies beyond the single assignment.
- Do not evaluate or estimate grades. The instructor of record is the only one who can do that.
- Adhere to the Ohio University Student Handbook in terms of defining “cheating,” “academic misconduct,” and “plagiarism”; such dishonesty or deception will not be tolerated.