Academic Assistance at the OHIO Student Success Center
Spring Semester 2021
Peer Tutoring: Math and Writing
Students can connect with peer tutors through drop-in and individualized appointments. Peer tutoring is available from the Ohio University Chillicothe Student Success Center. The center creates and maintains a welcoming and supportive learning environment for students - at all levels of proficiency - who need academic immediate assistance. Services are free of charge for all currently enrolled OHIO students.
- Quick questions: Pop in during open hours, available through TEAMS M-TH, from 12 - 1:00 PM and 6 – 7:00 PM WRITING OPEN
- Individual appointment: Schedule an individualized appointment at WRITING APPT
- Other needs or questions: Contact Debra Nickles, OHIO Chillicothe Writing Center Director (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Quick questions: Pop in during open hours, available through Microsoft Teams M-TH, from 12 - 1:00 PM and 6 – 7:00 PM MATH OPEN
- Individual appointment: Schedule an individualized appointment at MATH APPT.
- All tutors can assist with MATH D003, D004, D005, 1200, and 1300. Tutoring is also available at select times for Math 1090, 1101/1102, 1350, 2301, and 2500.
- Other needs or questions: Contact Kimber Lang, OHIO Chillicothe Math Center Director (email@example.com)
University Tutoring Services
The Academic Achievement Center (AAC) provides online tutoring appointments that empower students to achieve independent academic success. Students meet with peer tutors to review principles, learn content-specific study strategies, and deepen knowledge in historically difficult courses across many disciplines. Similarly, students engage writing tutors to collaborate at any point during the writing process to focus ideas and polish their expression. The AAC’s services are free to students enrolled at Ohio University’s main or regional campuses.
Beginning the second week of the spring semester, online tutoring appointments are available during the following times:
- Mondays – Thursdays: 9am - 8pm
- Fridays: 9am - 5pm
- Sundays: 4pm - 8pm
For more information, the latest updates, and details on using our TutorTrac scheduling system, visit www.ohio.edu/uc/aac/tutoring-services. In addition to scheduling via TutorTrac, students can also make weekly or one-time appointments on the same-day or in advance by calling the AAC at 740-566-8888 or emailing a tutoring request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The mission of the Ohio University Chillicothe Student Success Center is to create and maintain a welcoming, supportive learning environment for students and to address the immediate academic needs of students - of all levels of proficiency - through individualized peer-to-peer tutoring. These services are developed FREE of charge for all currently enrolled OHIO Chillicothe students.
The Student Success Center promotes student learning through the following programs:
- Math Center
- Writing Center
- Appointment-based, Academic Tutoring
Peer Tutoring - Creating Confidence and Success
Our staff of peer math tutors offers FREE math assistance to students. Appointments may be requested for Individual Tutoring.
All tutors can assist with Math courses: D003, D004, D005, 1200, and 1300. Tutors are available at select times for Math courses: 1090, 1101/1102, 1350, 2301, and 2500. *Please note that not all tutors can help with every math class.
Experience the expertise of our well-prepared and friendly tutors. Our tutors can assist with assignments and help you to understand concepts! Please note that it is against policy for tutors to assist directly with graded assignments, take-home exams and quizzes, Knowledge Checks (ALEKS), Certify (HAWKES), etc…
Whether you are researching, writing a first draft, double-checking citations, or just sitting scratching your head, the Writing Center can help you with your writing projects. Our staff of trained and skilled writing tutors offers individual sessions..
Contact the Student Success Center to set up an appointment or for tutoring on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Remember, the Student Success Center also offers:
- MLA /APA Workshops
- Writing Contests
- Publication Opportunities through Glass Enclosures
- Presentations (upon instructor’s request)
- Guides and Helpful Handouts
In accordance with both University codes regarding academic honesty and time-proven learning strategies, the Student Success Center follows these policies:
- Students are responsible for their own writing projects. We do not write any part of a student's essay; however, we are happy to discuss effective writing strategies at length.
- Do not proofread or edit student essays. Instead, we help identify individualized patterns of error that can be corrected, helping to strengthen the writer’s strategies beyond the single assignment.
- Do not evaluate or estimate grades. The instructor of record is the only one who can do that.
- Adhere to the Ohio University Student Handbook in terms of defining “cheating,” “academic misconduct,” and “plagiarism”; such dishonesty or deception will not be tolerated.