OHIO provides a dynamic educational experience for our students through a combination of flexible online courses and in-person engagement opportunities. Students attend one on-campus residency during the program. All students in the MAA program attend the on-campus Athletic Leadership Forum to network and connect with fellow students, program faculty and OHIO alumni. This three-day event features guest speakers, panel discussions and workshops relevant to athletic directors at the K–12 level.
Online Master's in Athletic Administration
Empower Student-Athletes to Grow and Achieve Through Sports
Ohio University's online Master of Science in Athletic Administration is designed for those currently working as teachers, coaches and athletic professionals. It prepares you to lead interscholastic athletics departments and develop programs that provide a supportive experience for student-athletes and staff.
Our online MAA program is accredited by the Commission on Sport Management Accreditation (COSMA) and features a partnership with the National Interscholastic Athletic Administrators Association (NIAAA) so you receive the industry-focused education you need to enter the next phase of your career.
With affordable tuition and a 20-month duration, you can achieve your academic goals and get on track to professional advancement quickly. The MAA focuses exclusively on interscholastic athletic administration, emphasizing skills and knowledge specific to your chosen career. Our five decades of experience in sports education and industry-connected faculty ensure you graduate ready to make an impact as an athletic director in any K–12 institution.
Lead Interscholastic Athletic Departments
Earning your online master's in athletic administration will prepare you to transition from teaching or coaching into the Athletic Director role in your school or district. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, educational administrators like athletic directors (ADs) earn an average salary of $96,810 at the elementary and secondary levels.1
When you finish your program, you will be qualified to pursue Registered Athletic Administrator certification through the NIAAA.2 You will have also completed 11 Leadership Training Courses that can be applied toward Certified Athletic Administrator and Certified Master Athletic Administrator credentials.* Online Students also receive this GradCAT benefit.
Build Field-Specific Skills for Your AD Career
11 Total Courses | 30 Total Credits
The online master's in athletic administration program is designed to help you gain the skills most relevant to interscholastic athletic administration, specifically middle and high school athletic directors. Courses are seven weeks in duration and emphasize project-based learning, in-person experiences and opportunities for live engagement with instructors and peers.
Our NIAAA partnership ensures that industry-aligned leadership concepts are built into your curriculum. After completing the MAA program, you will have applicable credit for 11 Leadership Training Courses.
- SASM 6320 Foundations of Interscholastic Athletic Administration
- SASM 6355 Marketing in Interscholastic Athletics
- SASM 6352 Facility and Event Management in Interscholastic Athletic Administration
Start Your Application Today
No GMAT Required | No prerequisite coursework
- Application Deadline: 12/11/23
- Classes Begin: 1/8/24
To apply to OHIO's online MS in Athletic Administration degree, you will need:
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited four-year college or university
- Cumulative undergraduate GPA of at least 2.7 on a 4.0 scale in the last 60 semester hours
- Official transcripts for all previously attended undergraduate and graduate institutions
- Minimum of two years athletic administration or coaching experience at the middle or high school level
- Two letters of recommendation from professional references with one coming from a current interscholastic athletic administrator
- A personal statement (2 - 4 pages) discussing your career goals, how the master’s degree will help you achieve those goals, areas or competencies that you expect the program will help you strengthen and what you plan to contribute to the learning community
- Current resume detailing professional experience
- $50 application fee ($55 for international students)
Earn a Flexible, Affordable MAA Degree
$18,720 Total Tuition | $624 Per Credit Hour | Scholarships Available
OHIO is committed to offering affordable, competitive tuition and has been recognized as a best-value university by U.S. News and World Report. In addition, student veteran, active military members, alumni, and corporate partners are automatically eligible to receive a 15% scholarship through the College of Business. Depending on your background, costs and credit hours will differ.
Listed tuition is for estimating purposes only and is subject to change.
OHIO is committed to offering affordable, competitive tuition and has been recognized for the fourth consecutive year as a best-value university by U.S. News and World Report. In addition, student veteran, active military members, alumni, and corporate partners are automatically eligible to receive a 15% scholarship. Depending on your background, costs and credit hours will differ.
Virtual Information Sessions
We invite you to join us for one of our free, live information sessions to discover what you can achieve with our online programs! Hear from our program directors as well as recent graduates who share their own experiences in the program. Contact us for the next event date or watch a recent info session recording now.
Why OHIO's MAA?
Online Learning at OHIO
Ohio University has a long tradition of offering online programs specifically designed for the modality and created for working professionals. Our online students complete engaging, comprehensive coursework that combines the academic excellence and experience-based learning of a traditional program with all the flexibility and convenience of online study.
With asynchronous courses and part-time scheduling (one course per seven weeks), you can earn your degree while maintaining your current work and personal commitments. Virtual office hours give you the opportunity to connect with peers and faculty. Access your coursework 24/7 and complete your assignments on a schedule that fits your life.
What You'll Learn
When you finish your program, you'll have competencies in the following essential interscholastic athletic administration knowledge areas:
- Sport law
- Sport risk management
- Sport marketing
- Sport finance
- Interscholastic sport human resources
- Interscholastic sport governance
- Professional skills and abilities
- Interscholastic athletic leadership
After completing OHIO's online MAA degree, you will be able to:
- Summarize and discuss legal issues and challenges facing IAA.
- Develop a plan to manage risks associated with sport facilities and events.
- Develop a plan to market and publicize an interscholastic athletic program and a major interscholastic sport event.
- Analyze an interscholastic sport budget and propose a plan to increase the revenue side of the budget.
- Construct an appropriate process for hiring and evaluating a diverse interscholastic athletic coaching staff.
- Identify all appropriate governing bodies associated with interscholastic sport and outline major policies with those organizations.
- Demonstrate professional skills and abilities relevant to the sports business profession.
- Articulate your personal leadership style and philosophy and how that style correlates to leading a successful interscholastic athletic program.
- Develop and deliver multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
Learn From Leading Experts
Faculty in the online master's in athletic administration program have extensive experience in the sports industry. Most have worked as athletic directors, and several adjunct faculty members were directly involved in the creation of the NIAAA Leadership Training Institute. Many continue to teach leadership training courses at national and state conferences. Their valuable industry insights inform coursework and class assignments to ensure you're developing the most applicable skill sets for your K–12 athletic administration career.
As a student, you'll benefit from:
- Personalized attention
- Individualized mentorship and support
- Career guidance throughout the program
- Industry-connected faculty to broaden your professional network
- Individual career coaching
- Lifelong career support
Online Master of Sports Administration
Transform your passion for sports into a thriving career with our Online Master of Sports Administration. Master concepts from revenue generation, law, analytics and more to pursue advanced career opportunities.
Answers to Common Questions
Find answers to common questions about the online program. For information not covered here, our expert admissions team is available to provide additional details and guidance.
Is the master's in athletic administration program accredited?
Yes. In addition to the College of Business's accreditation through the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business, the MAA has received programmatic accreditation through the Commission on Sport Management Accreditation (COSMA). This program also has a partnership with the National Interscholastic Athletic Administrators Association (NIAAA).
Does the master's in athletic administration program require an entrance exam like the GMAT or GRE?
No entrance exams are required for admission. You can learn more about what you'll need to apply to the online MAA program on the admissions page.
Does the master's in athletic administration program require work experience?
Yes, a minimum of two years of athletic administration or coaching experience at the middle or high school level is required for admission to this program. For more information about requirements, visit our admissions page.
Does the master's in athletic administration program have a residency component?
Coursework is delivered 100% online. However, a required three-day Athletic Leadership Forum is held on campus during the summer. This hand-on learning opportunity allows students to network with their peers, program faculty and alumni in person.
How will the MS in Athletic Administration degree prepare me for NIAAA Certification?
After completing the online MAA program, you will have earned credit for the following NIAAA Leadership Training Courses, which are applied toward certification:
- LTC 501 Guiding Foundations and Philosophies
- LTC 502 Strategies for Organization Management
- LTC 503 Enhancing Organization Management
- LTC 504 Legal issues I (Liability for Sports Injuries & Risk Management)
- LTC 506 Legal Issues II (Title IX & Sexual Harassment)
- LTC 508 Legal Issues III (Hazing, Constitutional Law, Disabilities Law & Employment/Labor Law)
- LTC 511 Concepts and Strategies for Interscholastic Budgeting and Finance Using Excel Spreadsheets
- LTC 611 Concepts and Strategies for Interscholastic Fundraising, Marketing, Promotions and Booster Clubs
- LTC 630 Interscholastic Contest Management – Planning, Preparation & Methods
- LTC 707 Assessment of Interscholastic Athletic Programs and Personnel
- LTC 719 Athletic Administration: Leadership, Management/Supervision and Decision Making Concepts, Methods and Applications
Does Ohio offer any career support for online students?
Yes, for more information on the benefits of our Graduate Career Acceleration Team, visit the online student career support page.
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Occupational Employment and Wage Statistics. Education Administrators, All Other. Retrieved from https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes119039.htm.
- National Interscholastic Athletic Administrators Association. NIAAA Certification. Requirements for Certification. Retrieved from https://members.niaaa.org/page/Certification.