Learn More About the Esports Certificate
Ohio University's new Esports Certificate is your chance to get an esports credential on your transcript! The certificate blends knowledge from a number of different disciplines to get you ready to participate in management, technology, and game design for esports.
The Esports Certificate includes three tracks: Sport Management, Game Design, and Information Technology
This certificate is offered in partnership with the McClure School of Emerging Communication Technologies.
Courses in Esports Certificate
The esports certificate requires a total of 19 credit hours.
Core Courses (6 hours)
All students complete the following two courses:
- ITS 2140 - Introduction to IT Systems
- SASM 1010 - Introduction to Sport Management
Choose your track (9 hours)
Students pick one of three tracks:
Students focusing on Sport Management have to take:
- SASM 4140 - Business of Esports
They also have to choose two of the following:
- SASM 4450 - Marketing Revenue Streams
- MGT 3580 - Foundations of Event Management
- MGT 3740 - Ideation and Business Models
Students focusing on Game Design have to take the following three courses:
- MDIA/ECT 2401 - Game Design
- MDIA/ECT 3401 - Game Development I
- MDIA/ECT 4401 - Game Development II
Students focusing on Information Technology have to take the following two courses:
- ITS 2300 - Data Communication
- ITS 3100 - Internet Applications and Network Systems
They also have to choose one of the following:
- ITS 4510 - Telecommunication Network Security
- ITS 4750 - Internet Engineering
- ITS 4900 - Topical Seminar (various topics)
Esports Seminar (1 hour)
This a one-credit-hour class exclusively designed for students in the esports certificate and team-taught by faculty from esports-related disciplines.
- ECT/SASM 3005 - Esports Seminar
Choose a capstone class (3 hours)
Pick one of the following capstone courses:
- MGT 3710 - Business Plan Design
- COMS 4050 - Meeting and Conference Planning
- SASM 3760 - Sport Facility and Event Management
- ITS 4440 - Lifecycle Management of Information and Telecommunication Systems
Core courses (6 hours) + specialized path courses (9 hours) + Esports seminar (1 hour) + capstone (3 hours) = 19 credit hours
Future students: you'll add certificates, minors, and additional majors once you're enrolled at OHIO.
Current students: To add the certificate to your degree please contact the administrative staff from your college. The esports certificate code is CTESCU. If you are a Scripps College of Communication student, you can send the request to our administrative staff by filling out this form.
If you have any questions, please contact us.