- PhD, Sport and Exercise Management, The Ohio State University, 2006
- MA, Sport and Exercise Management, The Ohio State University, 2003
- BBA, Marketing and Management, University of Wisconsin, 2002
- Philanthropy in Intercollegiate Athletics
- Coaching Effectiveness
- Gender Equity and Inclusion in Sport Leadership
- Strode, J., Parkman, A., Czekanski, W., & Scarlata, M. (in press). Stereotype Threat and Interscholastic Athletic Leadership. Sociology of Sport Journal.
- Krieger, K., Davis, J.L., and Strode, J. (2021). Patience is a Virtue: Exploiting Bias Behavior in Gambling Markets. Journal of Economics and Finance. Volume 45, Issue 3, pp. 1-16.
- Strode, J., Davies, M., & Lawrence, H. (2021). Missing the Mark: Gathering Better Data from Student-Athlete Exit Interviews. Case Studies in Sport Management. Volume 9, Issue 1, pp. 25-31.
- Lawrence, H. J., Strode, J., Baker, R., & Benedict, P. C. (2021). Finding a place within the academy: Sport management and faculty entrepreneurship. Sport Management Education Journal. Volume 12, Issue 1, pp. 41-48.
- O’Hallarn, B. & Strode, J. (2020). #ODU2ODU: Testing the Benefits of a Partnership Between Sport Management Classrooms. Sport Innovation Journal. Volume 1, Issue 1, pp. 18-35.
- Lawrence-Benedict, H., Strode, J.P., Pastore, D., Gray, D., Baker, R., Baker, P., Gillentine, A., & Cuneen, J. Sport Management Program Advisory Boards: The Advantages of Outside Influences. (2018). Journal of Contemporary Athletics. Volume 12, Issue 4.
- Strode, J.P., Milton, P., & Gilmore, M. Sponsorship of Intercollegiate Athletics and a Unique Approach to Reducing and Eliminating Culpability for Unrelated Business Income Tax. (2014). Applied Research in Coaching and Athletics Annual. Volume 29, pp. 57-83.
- Sullivan, G. and Strode, J.P. (2010). Motivation Through Goal Setting: A Self-Determined Perspective. Strategies. July/August. Volume 23, pp. 19-23.
- Strode, J.P. and Fink, J.S. (2009). Using Motivational Theory to Develop a Donor Profile Scale for Intercollegiate Athletics. Journal for the Study of Sports and Athletes in Education. Volume 3 (3), pp.335-354.
Presentations & Awards
National and International Conference Presentations
- Simmons, J., Stensland, P., Grappendorf, H., & Strode, J. Faculty-to-Faculty Incivility in Sport Management Academia. (September, 2023). Paper presented at the annual meeting of the European Association of Sport Management conference in Belfast, Northern Ireland.
- Jara-Pazmino, E., Thompson, E., Pack, S., Martin, T., Jakar, G., Strode, J., & Clark, B. “A Brain to Pick, An Ear to Listen, and a Push in the Right Direction”: The NASSM Faculty-Student Mentor Program. (June, 2023). Symposium presented at the annual meeting of the North American Society for Sport Management conference in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
- Strode, J. & Chawansky, M. Athlete Migration within the Women’s National Basketball Association. (December, 2022). Paper presented at the annual meeting of the Sport Management Association of Australia and New Zealand in Melbourne, Australia.
- Baker, R., Strode, J., Baker, P., Gillentine, A., McGarry, J., Ridinger, L., & Pastore, D. (June, 2022). Post-COVID Lessons for Sport Management: The Future of the Academy and the Industry. Symposium presented at the annual meeting of the North American Society for Sport Management conference in Atlanta, Georgia.
- O’Hallarn, B., Stensland, P., Agozzino, A., Shelton, L., and Strode, J. #Sportsocialhub: An Online Gathering Place and Skills Development Workshop. (April, 2022). Paper presented at the annual meeting of the North American Society of Sport Sociology conference in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
- Lower-Hoppe, L., Pastore, D., Strode, J., McCray, K., & Walton, D. (September, 2021). Modes of Course Delivery Pre-, Mid-, Post-COVID-19: Perspectives from Administration, Faculty, and Students in Higher Education. Paper presented at the International Society for Exploring Teaching and Learning Conference on Innovative Higher Education Pedagogy Virtual Conference.
- Strode, J., Baker, R., Pastore, D., Baker, P., Ridinger, L., and Gillentine, A. (June, 2021). Using the Civic Wealth Framework to Develop a Comprehensive Diversity Plan for Sport Management Programs. Symposium presented at the annual meeting of the North American Society for Sport Management virtual conference.
- Krieger, K., Davis, J., & Strode, J. (December, 2020). Exploiting Behavior Bias in Sport Gambling Markets. Pre-recorded presentation at the annual Sport Management Association of Australia and New Zealand Virtual Conference.
- Scarlata, M., Strode, J., Lawrence-Benedict, H., & Parkman, A. (June, 2020). Stereotype Threat and Interscholastic Athletic Leadership. Poster presentation at the annual meeting of the North American Society of Sport Management Virtual Conference
- Distinguished Sport Management Educator Award – North American Society for Sport Management – 2023
- O’Blenness Professorship – Ohio University College of Business – 2022-present
- Robert H. Freeman Professorship – Ohio University College of Business – 2021-2022
- Golden Brick Undergraduate Admissions Award – Ohio University College of Business – 2019
- Ohio Dominican University Fall Commencement Speaker - 2019
- Sr. Charles Marie Brantl Influential Panther Award – Ohio Dominican University, 2013
- Sr. Angelita Conley Award for Teaching Excellence – Ohio Dominican University, 2012
- Finalist for Male Professor of the Year – Ashland University, 2007
Jim Strode, Ph.D., is the Associate Dean of Undergraduate Programs and O’Bleness Associate Professor at Ohio University's College of Business. As associate dean, Strode leads the undergraduate degree programs, manages college-level curriculum processes, manages signature undergraduate programs, oversees the Academic Advising and Career Services, and collaborates to recruit, retain, and place undergraduate Business Bobcats. In his time as associate dean, he has assisted in bringing the Ohio Export Internship Program to the college, as well as lead a global initiative to create a double degree program with Deakin University (Australia).
In 2023, he received the Distinguished Educator Award from the North America Society for Sport Management and has served as the President of the Alliance for Sport Business since 2021.
Strode formerly lead the Department of Sports Administration program as chair. In his three years, he led the development of a five-year strategic plan, mission statement, and vision statement; a comprehensive diversity, equity, and inclusion plan; a revision of the curriculum of the Bachelor of Sport Management degree; and redeveloped the graduate program advisory board by developing bylaws and recruiting a representative membership. Externally, he developed partnerships with sport organizations to provide experiential learning opportunities for students and assisted with a marketing plan with Sport Career Consulting to recruit top sports administration students from high schools around North America.
Previously, Strode was the Dean of Graduate Studies at Ohio Dominican University (ODU) in Columbus, Ohio. As dean, Strode provided leadership over eight masters level programs, and assisted with the university’s efforts to receive Higher Learning Commission approval to offer doctoral level education. Strode was instrumental in leading the conversion of graduate programs from traditional to online and blended formats. Additionally, he led efforts to create professional development opportunities for students, enhanced synergies between academic affairs and the admissions process, and developed relationships with other universities to create admission pathways for graduate education.
In December 2018, Strode delivered the address at the 110th commencement exercise at ODU.
In his time at ODU, Strode achieved tenure and the rank of associate professor. In 2013, Strode developed the curriculum for a Master of Science in Sport Management, and served as the inaugural director. He served as the coordinator for the undergraduate program, was advisor of the Sport Management Society, and helped develop new minors in coaching and sport media.
As a faculty member, Strode was elected to the faculty senate leadership team, the rank, tenure, and promotion committee, and served as chair of the faculty policy and research committee.
In 2012, Strode was the recipient of the Sr. Angelita Conely Award, a university award for excellence in teaching. He also was the recipient of the first Sr. Charles Marie Brantl Influential Panther Award in 2013, awarded by student-athletes based on effectiveness in teaching and mentoring.
Beyond the classroom, Strode has published in multiple peer-reviewed journals and has presented his research at the NASSM, European Association for Sport Management (EASM), Sport Management Association of Australia and New Zealand (SMAANZ), North American Society for the Sociology of Sport (NASSS) conferences, among others.
Prior to his arrival at ODU, Strode was an assistant professor at Ashland University in Ashland, Ohio, where he served as the head of the undergraduate Sport Management department, advisor of the Sport Management Club, and taught graduate and doctoral level courses.
Strode received a bachelor’s degree in business administration from the University of Wisconsin (UW), and his masters and doctorate in Sport Management from The Ohio State University. While at UW, Strode served as an ex-officio member of the Wisconsin Alumni Association Board of Directors and the undergraduate representative to the UW Athletic Board. At OSU, Strode was the president of the Student Professional Development Association and received the William N. Wasson Student Leadership & Academic Award from the National Intramural-Recreational Sports Association (NIRSA).
Outside of the classroom, Strode is a 19-year veteran high school basketball coach, having served as head coach of the girls programs at Worthington Kilbourne, Bexley, and Centennial High School. He is the past president of the District 10 Basketball Coaches Association.