Eligibility for Student Employment


1. Citizenship Status


A. I-9 Requirement


All students seeking employment must comply with the Immigration Control and

Reform Act of 1986. This act requires all newly-hired employees of any organization

to document within 72 hours of employment their identity (state-issued driver's

license or I.D. card with a photograph) and citizenship status or work authorization

(birth certificate, original social security card, alien registration receipt card, or

certificate of citizenship or naturalization). A passport can be used to document both

identity and citizenship status. The prospective student employee and a

representative or designee of the University will complete the Employment Eligibility

Verification form (referred to as the I-9 form). Completion of the I-9 is mandatory

and must be done prior to the time a student starts work for the University. Failure to

comply with the I-9 requirement will result in the student's dismissal from

employment until the I-9 is completed.


B. International Students


1. Students with F-1 Visas


International students with F-1 Visas may work on-campus for a maximum of

twenty (20) hours per week when taking classes and up to forty (40) hours per

week during breaks between quarters and during one quarter of vacation time

each year. The employment must not interfere with the student's academic

progress and cannot displace a United States citizen. International students with

F-1 Visas can only be employed off-campus with prior permission from the

Immigration and Naturalization Service. The Office of International Student and

Faculty Services will assist students in submitting the necessary applications. The

Immigration and Naturalization Service will approve applications only after the

student can demonstrate unexpected financial difficulties that occurred after



2. Students with J-1 Visas


International students with J-1 Visas are eligible to work on or off-campus only

with the permission of the director of the Office of International Student and

Faculty Services or his/her designee. Grounds for permission are similar to those

for students with F-1 Visas.


2. Enrollment and Standing


A. Federal Work-Study (FWS) and PACE


In order to be eligible for FWS employment during the academic year, a student

must be enrolled in courses at Ohio University during the term he or she is


Students employed through PACE, which is only available to undergraduates, must also

be enrolled.

FWS and PACE employees may only work during breaks with special permission

from the OSFAS (a written request must be made).


2. Student Hourly Employment (SHE)


In order to be eligible for student hourly employment at Ohio University, a student


1. Be enrolled for classes at Ohio University, Hocking College, another

post-secondary institution, or a secondary school, during the current semester,

immediately previous semester, or immediately upcoming semester(e.g., enrollment spring

semester allows work to continue through summersemester). Homeschooled students must

supply appropriate documentation.

NOTE: Continuing student employment for graduating students is limited to the following:


Graduating Semester

Continuation of work limited to:

Fall Semester

     End of Winter break

Spring Semester

     End of 1st Summer Session

1st Summer Session

     End of 2nd Summer Session

2nd Summer Session or Full Summer Session

     September 30



2. To be eligible for FICA exception, student hourly employees must be enrolled

half time. Hocking College (or any other non-Ohio University post-secondary

institution) and high school students are not eligible for FICA exemption.


3. To be eligible for OPERS exemption, undergraduate student hourly employees

must be enrolled for six (6) credit hours and graduate student hourly employees

must be enrolled for five (5) credit hours. Student employees from non-Ohio

University post-secondary institutions and high school students are not eligible

for OPERS exemption.


4. Be in good standing with Ohio University (including academic, disciplinary, and



5. Non-Ohio University students must provide verification of student status (e.g.

work permits for secondary students).

Close  |  Print