· PhD, Kinesiology (Physical Activity Measurement), University of Massachusetts, 2010
· MS, Kinesiology (Pediatric Exercise Physiology), Ball State University, 1994
· BS, Exercise Science, Lake Superior State University, 1992
· Development of Accurate Measurement Tools for Children’s Physical Activity and Energy Expenditure
· Prevention and Treatment of Pediatric Obesity through the Development of Empirical Physical Activity Interventions
· Global and Cultural Differences in Youth Physical Activity
· Associate Professor, Exercise Physiology, Ohio University, 2015-present
· Assistant Professor, Exercise Physiology, Ohio University, 2010-2015
· Adjunct Faculty, Kinesiology, University of Massachusetts, 2006-2010
· Adjunct Faculty, Exercise & Sport Sciences, University of South Carolina, 2005-2006
· Adjunct Faculty, Exercise Science, Lake Superior State University, 1995-2000
· Howe, CA, KA Clevenger, RE Leslie, MA Ragan. Comparison of Accelerometer-Based Cut-Points for Children’s Physical Activity: Counts vs. Steps. Children, 5(8): 105, 2018.
· Howe, CA, RA Harris, B Gutin. A 10-month Physical Activity Intervention Improves Body Composition in Young Black Boys. J Obes, 2011. (doi:10.1155/2011/358581).
· Howe, CA, PS Freedson. Physical Activity and Academic Performance. The President’s Council on Physical Fitness and Sport E-Newsletter, Fall 2008.
· Howe, CA, D McElhiney, KA Clevenger, C Mihalic, MA Ragan. Measurement of Children’s Real-Time Physical Activity Enjoyment using a Novel Visual Analog Scale. J Phys Act Health, 16(6): 406-415, 2019.
· Clevenger, KA, KA Pfeiffer, CA Howe. Does Wearing a Portable Metabolic Unit Affect Youth Physical Activity or Enjoyment during Physically Active Games or Video Games? Pediatr Exerc Sci., 30(4): 524-528, 2018.
· Clevenger, KA, G Sinha, CA Howe. Comparison of Methods for Analyzing Global Positioning System and Accelerometer Data during School Recess. Meas Phys Ed Ex Sci., Aug 29, 2018. (doi.org/10.1080/1091367X.2018.1512495)
· Frazier, J, J Yom, CA Howe, D Chelberg. Validation of an Infrared Camera System with a Joint Analysis Software as a Real Time Strength Training and Evaluation Tool. Asian J Kinesiol., 20(3): 52-56, 2018.
· Howe, CA, S Casapulla, J Shubrook, P Lopez, M Grijalva, D Berryman. Regional Variations in Physical Fitness and Activity in Ecuadorian Adolescents. Children, 5(8): 104, 2018.
· Howe, CA, KA Clevenger, B Plow, S Porter, G Sinha. Using Video Direct Observation to Assess Children’s Physical Activity during Recess. Pediatr Exerc Sci., July 29: 1-8, 2018.
· Guseman, EH, J Whipps, CA Howe, EA Beverly. First year osteopathic medical students’ knowledge and attitudes toward healthy lifestyle behaviors and the integration of lifestyle counseling in primary care. J Am Osteopath Assoc., 118(6): 389-395, 2018
· Casapulla, S, CA Howe, G Rosero, D. Berryman, M Grijalva, E Rojas, M Nakazawa, J Shubrook. Cardiometabolic risk factors, metabolic syndrome and pre-diabetes in adolescents in the Sierra region of Ecuador. Diabetology & Metabolic Syndrome, 9(24), April 19, 2017.
· Holben, DH, C Rambo, CA Howe, D Murray, J Shubrook. Cardiovascular Disease Risk Factors after an Employer-Based Risk Reduction Program: An Observational Cohort Study. Journal of American Osteopathic Association, 117(7):425-432, 2017.
· Sasaki, JE, CA Howe, D John, A Hickey, J Steeves, S Conger, K Lyden, S Kozey0Keadle, S Burkhart, S Alhassan, D Bassett, PS Freedson. Energy Expenditure for 70 Activities in Children and Adolescents. Journal of Physical Activity and Health, 13(Suppl 1), S24-S28, 2016.
· Clevenger, KA, CA Howe. Xbox 360 Kinect: Energy Cost and Enjoyment of Active Video Games in Youth. Games for Health Journal, 4(4), 318-324, 2015.
· Howe, CA, MW Barr, BC Winner, J Kimble, JB White. The use of the latest active video games in the fight against weight gain in college students. J Phys Act Health, 12(2): 171-177, 2015.
· Welch, WA, DR Bassett, PS Freedson, JW Staudenmayer, D John, JA Steeves, SA Conger, T Ceaser, CA Howe, JE Sasaki. Cross-validation of waist-worn GENEA accelerometer cut-points. Med Sci Sports Exerc, 46(9): 1825-1830, 2014.
· Welch, WA, DR Bassett, DL Thompson, PS Freedson, JW Staudenmayer, D John, JA Steeves, SA Conger, T Ceaser, SK Kozey-Keadle, CA Howe, JE Sasaki, EC Fitzhugh. Classification Accuracy of the Wrist-Worn Gravity Estimator of Normal Everyday Activity Accelerometer. Med Sci Sports Exerc, 45(10): 2012-19, 2013.
· Hall, KS, CA Howe, SR Rana, CL Martin. METs and Accelerometer Output of Walking in Older Adults: Standard vs. Measured Energy Cost. Med Sci Sports Exerc, 45(3), 574-582, 2013.
· Howe, CA, PS Freedson, S Alhassan, HA Feldman, SK Osganian. A Recess Intervention to Promote Moderate-To-Vigorous Physical Activity. Pediatr Obes, 7(1): 82-88, 2012.
· This manuscript was also selected as one of 14 papers for reprint in a special Virtual Issue on “Promising Interventions for Childhood Obesity” in Pediatr Obes, July 2012.
· Alhassan, S, K Lyden, CA Howe. Accuracy of accelerometer regression models in predicting physical activity energy expenditure and METs in children & youth. Pediatr Exerc Sci, 24(4): 519-36, 2012.
· Gutin, B, RA Harris, CA Howe, MH Johnson, H Zhu, Y Dong. Cardiometabolic biomarkers in young black girls: relations to body fatness and aerobic fitness, and effects of a randomized physical activity trial. Int J Pediatr, 2011, article ID 219268, 7 pages, (doi:10.1155/2011/219268).
· John, D, S Liu, JE Sasaki, CA Howe, J Staudenmayer, RX Gao, PS Freedson. Calibrating a novel multi-sensor physical activity measurement system. Physiol Meas, 32: 1473-1489, 2011.
· Hassan, RE, BL Jones, CA Howe, PS Freedson. Accuracy of four resting metabolic rate prediction equations: effects of age, sex and body mass index. J Sports Sci Med, 14: 344-351, 2011.
· Howe, CA, PS Freedson, HA Feldman, SK Osganian. Energy Expenditure and Enjoyment of Common Children’s Games in a Simulated Free-Play Environment. J Pediatr, 157: 936-42, 2010.
· Kozey, SL, K Lyden, CA Howe, JW Staudenmayer, PS Freedson. Accelerometer output and MET values of common physical activities. Med Sci Sport Exer, 42(9):1776-1784, 2010.
· Howe, CA, JW Staudenmayer, PS Freedson. Accelerometer Prediction of Energy Expenditure: Vector Magnitude vs. Vertical Axis. Med Sci Sport Exer, 41(12): 2199-2206, 2009.
· Barbeau, P, MH Johnson, CA Howe, J Allison, CL Davis, B Gutin, CR Lemmon. Ten Months of Exercise Improves General and Visceral Adiposity, Bone, and Fitness in Black Girls. Obesity (Silver Spring), 15: 2077-2085, 2007.
· Lemmon, CR, DA Ludwig, CA Howe, A Ferguson-Smith, P Barbeau. Correlates of Adherence to a Physical Activity Program in Young African-American Girls. Obesity (Silver Spring), 15: 695-703, 2007.
· Hoffman, WH, P Barbeau, MS Litaker, CA Howe, B Gutin. Tanner Staging of Secondary Sexual Characteristics and Body Composition, Blood Pressure and Insulin in Black Girls. Obes Res, 13(12): 2195-201, 2005.
· Gutin, B, CA Howe, MH Johnson, P Barbeau. Heart rate variability in adolescents: relations to physical activity, cardiovascular fitness, and general and visceral adiposity. Med Sci Sport Exer, 37(11): 1856-1863, 2005.
· Mahon, AD, GE Duncan, CA Howe, P del Corral. Blood lactate and perceived exertion relative to ventilatory threshold: boys vs. men. Med Sci Sport Exer, 29(10): 1332-1337, 1997.
· Mahon, AD, P del Corral, CA Howe, GE Duncan, ML Ray. Physiological correlates of 3 kilometer running performance in children. Int J Sports Med, 17(8): 580-584, 1996.
· Duncan, GE, AD Mahon, CA Howe, P del Corral. Plateau in oxygen uptake at maximal exercise in male children. Ped Ex Sci, 8(1): 77-86, 1996.
· del Corral, P, AD Mahon, GE Duncan, CA Howe, BW Craig. The effects of exercise on serum and salivary cortisol in male children. Med Sci Sport Exer, 26(11): 1297-1301, 1994.
· del Corral, P, AD Mahon, GE Duncan, CA Howe, BW Craig. Serum and salivary cortisol responses in male children performing aerobic exercise. Pediatr Exerc Sci, 5(4): 406, 1993
· Step Calibration Study for Youth ($11,394), ActiGraph, LLC., 2018
· Walk Around Ohio ($5,500), Live Healthy Appalachia, Ohio University, 2011
· Planning for the Diabetes Think Tank ($20,000), Innovation Strategy Program Ohio University, 2016
· Assessment of obesity, diabetes and cardiometabolic risk in adolescents from rural versus urban communities in Ecuador ($5,000), Office of Rural and Underserved Programs Research Fund, Ohio University, 2015
· Assessment of obesity, diabetes and cardiometabolic risk in adolescents from rural versus urban communities in Ecuador ($10,000), Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine Faculty Research Award, Ohio University, 2014
· Teaching HENRY: Health Nutrition and Exercise Recommendations for Youth (10,000), Appalachia Rural Health Institute Scholars Program, Ohio University, 2013
· Predictors of Social Engagement & Physical Activity in Children from Rural Appalachia ($10,000), CHSP Interdisciplinary Research Award, Ohio University, 2013
· PASE: Physical Activity Schoolyard Evaluation Study Pilot Study ($10,000), Office of Research and Sponsored Programs Research Challenge, Ohio University, 2013
· PACE: Program to Aid Career Exploration ($16,647), Ohio University, 2012-present
· Walk Around Ohio ($10,000), CHSP Community Engagement Award, Ohio University, 2013
· Development of an Undergraduate Program in Diabetes ($17,000), 1804 Grant Program, Ohio University, 2011
· Exercise Science/Biomechanics Laboratory Update (11,500), 1804 Grant Program, Ohio University, 2011
· Effects of 100-Kcal Daily Energy Expenditure on Total Moderate-to-Vigorous Physical Activity in 3rd Grade Children (82,646), Children’s Hospital Boston, 2008
· Effects of Warm-up Intensity on Anaerobic Performance in Children ($1,705), Indiana Academy of Science + matching funds from Ball State University, 1993
Awards and Honors
· Fellow, American College of Sports Medicine, Indianapolis, IN, 2016-present
· Appalachia Rural Health Institute Scholar, Ohio University, 2013-14
· General X-Ray Machine Operator, ODH License #8869903, 2013-present
· Research and Creative Activity Awards, Ohio University, 2011 and 2013
· Interdisciplinary Research Award, Ohio University, 2013
· Community Engagement Award, Ohio University, 2013
· Certified Clinical Exercise Physiologist, Clinical Exercise Physiology Association, 2010
· Certified Clinical Exercise Specialist, American College of Sports Med. (#2866), 1998
· Certified Strength & Conditioning Specialist, National Strength and Conditioning Associations, (#989306), 1998 – 2011
· Chair, Biomedical Institutional Review Board, 2019 – present
· Board member, Biomedical Institutional Review Board, 2016 – 2019
· Director of Studies, Honors Tutorial College, Ohio University, 2014-present
· Co-Chair, Pediatric Exercise Physiology Special Interest Group, American College of Sports Medicine, 2015-2019
· Co-Director/Director, Academic and Professional Training, Diabetes Institute, Ohio University, 2012-2019
· Board member, North American Society of Pediatric Medicine
· Board member (Newsletter Editor), International Society of the Measurement of Physical Behaviour, 2016-present.
· Manuscript Reviewer, numerous journals in my field, 2006-presen