Online B.S. in Psychology Degree
Discover how the online Bachelor of Science in Psychology program can fit into your life. We offer a comprehensive exploration of the field and unique learning experiences. Benefit from top-tier instructors and courses that will equip you for your future endeavors. Whether you seek career advancement, explore new fields, fulfill a lifelong ambition of earning a university degree, or gain insights into human behavior, this program is tailored to assist you in achieving your goals. Moreover, you can make use of your existing credits by transferring them into this degree program.
Take advantage of credit transfer opportunities for previously earned credits. Start your psychology journey today!
Benefits of earning your degree is Ohio University:
- Flexible online format
- Affordable tuition, with financial aid options
- Extensive advising resources for education and career planning
- Courses include child and adolescent psychology, introduction to clinical and counseling, psychological disorders of childhood, sport psychology, and more.
Major Code: BS4107
Faculty Contact: Dr. Michael Grant
- Program Overview
- Admissions Information
- Degree Requirements
- What Can You Do with a Bachelor's Degree in Psychology?
- What To Expect in Online Courses
Online Psychology B.S.
The Bachelor of Science in Psychology at Ohio University is offered fully online.
You will have access to the highest quality instructors and courses to prepare you for your next step in life. Whether that is promotion in a current career, exploration of a new career field, achievement of a life-long goal to earn a university degree, or even just a better understanding of people and their behavior, this program is designed to help you achieve your goals.
If you are interested in securing a job in a psychology-related field, with this bachelor's degree you will be prepared to seek a career in areas such as:
- Human services (counseling, crisis work, performance enhancement)
- Business (personnel, sales, advertising/marketing, public relations, consumer research, customer service)
- Health services (public health, health prevention programs, prevention research)
While completing the Online B.S. in Psychology, you will explore the field of psychology, gain valuable experience with a diverse online student body, and develop professional relationships with faculty. You will be encouraged to explore service activities (such as volunteering at relevant social service agencies) and can explore opportunities to participate in psychological research.
The Psychology Department is committed to offering an outstanding undergraduate curriculum in psychology. More specifically, the department has the following aims:
- To provide students with engaging courses taught by qualified faculty that insure students develop a strong foundation in the major substantive areas of psychology
- To emphasize the development of excellent quantitative and research skills by capitalizing on the opportunities available in a department widely acknowledged as one of the pre-eminent research departments in the university
- To encourage participation in service activities that serve both to deepen students’ understanding of psychology and to address the needs of the local community and the broader region
- To provide advising that (1) insures students complete their degree in a timely fashion and (2) insures they complete a program of study that adequately prepares them for their chosen career, whether in psychology or in one of the multitude of fields for which training in psychology is beneficial
The major is delivered in a flexible online format, requiring no face-to-face meetings. Students interested in this option should apply using the BS4107 psychology major code.
About the Coursework
Coursework, in addition to course readings may consist of proctored or un-proctored exams, essay responses, term papers and/or online class discussions. The vast majority of online courses are asynchronous (not live), allowing one to work on assignments on their own schedule.
Careers & Graduate School
Graduates with a degree in psychology are prepared for a diverse array of careers due to their academic program's emphasis on communication and critical and analytical thinking. Career opportunities range from work in the human services sector, such as counseling, crisis work, and performance enhancement; work in research, from social and market research to experimental psychology; and even work in the business sector, with positions in sales, public relations, and customer service. Potential employers of psychology graduates include, but are not limited to, the following: hospitals and healthcare providers; institutions of higher education; rehabilitation facilities; local, state, and national government agencies; social services and non-profit agencies; public and private K-12 schools; research organizations; service providers; etc. A degree in psychology will also prepare students for graduate study.
Browse through dozens of Internship opportunities and full-time job postings for Ohio University students and alumni on Handshake, OHIO's key resource for researching jobs, employers, workshops, and professional development events.
University-wide Graduation Requirements
To complete this program, students must meet all University-wide graduation requirements.
Liberal Arts an Sciences Distribution Requirements for the College of Arts & Sciences
To complete this degree, students must complete all of the College-Level Requirements for the College of Arts & Sciences. The college does have a foreign language requirement of one full year of a single foreign language. Spanish and Sign Language are regularly offered online. Talk with your adviser about other languages that interest you. Students also can transfer in language credit from other accredited institutions. For students entering with an associate's degree or other transfer credit, many of the College-level requirements may already have been met.
Psychology Core Requirements
Complete the following courses for a minimum of 35 hours with PSY prefix:
- PSY 1010 - General Psychology Credit Hours: 3.0
- PSY 2110 - Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences Credit Hours: 4.0
- PSY 2120 - Research Methods in Psychology Credit Hours: 4.0
- PSY 2210 - Physiological Psychology Credit Hours: 3.0
- PSY 2310 - Cognitive Psychology Credit Hours: 3.0
- PSY 2410 - Child and Adolescent Psychology Credit Hours: 3.0
- PSY 2510 - Social Psychology Credit Hours: 3.0
- PSY 2710 - Psychopathology Credit Hours: 3.0
- Complete three additional Psychology courses at the 3000-level or higher (excluding PSY 3910, 3920, 3940, 3970T, 3980T, 4930, 4970H, 4970T, 4980H, 4980T, and 4990H).
Your specific course selections each semester will depend in part on what courses you have already completed prior to enrolling in the Online Psychology B.S. Program, as well as your own goals and interests.
What Can You Do with a Bachelor's Degree in Psychology?
Unlock a world of career opportunities with a bachelor's degree in Psychology. Prepare yourself for a diverse range of possibilities, including rewarding careers in human services and business. With this degree, you could excel in roles at mental health agencies, assisting clients with daily tasks and even facilitating group therapy sessions. Additionally, students may find fulfilling careers within local or state family services, corrections services, or rehabilitative services.
The field of business offers numerous potential career paths, such as human services encompassing counseling, crisis intervention, and performance enhancement. You can also explore opportunities in various business domains, including personnel, sales, advertising/marketing, public relations, consumer research, and customer service. Additionally, the health services sector welcomes individuals with a psychology background, where you can contribute to public health initiatives, health prevention programs, and prevention research.
By acquiring essential skills like conducting basic research, understanding the complexities of human behavior, thought, and emotion, as well as comprehending human motivation and goal-seeking, you will gain a competitive edge in these fields. Embrace the valuable opportunities that await you with a psychology degree and embark on a fulfilling career journey.