Experimental Psychology Ph.D. Admissions
- Admission Requirements
- Application Deadline
- Graduate College Application and Admission Process
- Program codes: PH4103, PH4104, PH4106
All graduate applications must be submitted electronically through the Graduate College.
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited institution or equivalent. Coursework preferred: 18 hours (or equivalent quarter hours) of psychology at the undergraduate level, including one course in statistics and one in experimental research design.
- GPA of 3.0 or better overall; and an average of at least 3.3 (B+) in psychology. Applicants who have completed some graduate work should have a grade-point average of at least 3.4 in that work.
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) required, both Verbal and Quantative. The code for Ohio University is 1593.
- Three letters of recommendation, preferably from psychology faculty members.
- Personal Statement describing your special interests and professional goals. Include in your personal statement a rank-ordered list of the three faculty members with whom you most want to work.
- Transcripts: One official transcript from each postsecondary school attended should be sent to
1 Ohio University
220 Research & Technology Center
Athens, OH 45701 USA
- Curriculum Vitae (or resume)
- English Proficiency. International students whose native language is not English also must submit scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS academic). To be considered official, test scores must be reported directly from the testing agency to Ohio University. A TOEFL-iBT of 80 or higher is recommended. The minimum IELT is 6.5 across all bands. More information on English Proficiency.
See more information about Ohio University's graduate admission requirements.
Please read instructions carefully and fill out the application completely, including sections on prior experiences.
Make sure to follow the directions on the "U.S./Permanent Resident Graduate Application Checklist" or "International Graduate Checklist" for additional materials that should be submitted.
The deadline for applying for admission in the fall semester is Dec. 1 of the previous calendar year.