Alumni Award nominations for the 2023 Awards will be accepted beginning January 1, 2022, until December 31, 2022.
Alumni Awards Nominations
Each year, the Ohio University Alumni Association and OHIO Athletics honors alumni who have made their University proud, and the nominations for those awards come from Bobcats like you.
Read about the awards below and select the award category that fits your nominee best. You can even nominate yourself as long as all required documentation is included. The online form will be made available after the nomination period opens.
- Current OUAA Board members shall not be considered for an award. Former OUAA Board members shall not be considered for an award until two years after their retirement from the Board.
- Current sitting members of the Ohio University Foundation Board and/or the OHIO Board of Trustees shall not be considered for an award. After retirement from the Board, there is no waiting period for such candidates to be considered for an award.
- Ohio University faculty and staff, with the exception of employees from the Division of Advancement, are eligible for awards. The maximum number for employee award recipients is one per year across all award categories.
- If spouses are nominated together for one award, consideration will be given only if both parties can stand on their own merit.
- Candidates who have been nominated posthumously will not be considered for an award. If a candidate passed away after their nomination (within their two-year nomination cycle), their nomination can be reviewed and awarded. If the posthumous nominee is not awarded in that two-year window, their nomination cannot be reconsidered or resubmitted.
- It is strongly encouraged that award recipients attend the Alumni Awards Gala (not including potential posthumous winners). If unable to attend, Awards Committee members will discuss optional paths forward.
The nominator must complete the nomination form and provide two additional letters of reference. Incomplete or outdated packets/applications will not be considered. Letters of reference must clearly be in support of the nominee and their nomination for an alumni award.
Review of Nominations and Notification
A committee of the Ohio University Alumni Association Board of Directors reviews all nominations and presents a slate of names to the full board for approval at the annual spring meeting in Athens. Upon approval, award recipients and nominating individuals are notified via a congratulatory letter from the alumni association in June.
Alumnus/Alumna of the Year
Awarded to an alumna or alumnus who has excelled in their chosen field and in their service to Ohio University.
The Board of Directors may award one (1) Alumna/Alumnus of the Year per year.
Fill out the nomination form for Alumnus/Alumna of the Year.
Medal of Merit Award
Awarded to Ohio University alumni who have excelled in their chosen field.
The Board of Directors may award up to four (4) Medals of Merit per year.
Fill out the nomination form for Medal of Merit.
Distinguished Service Award
Awarded to alumni who have supported Ohio University with their time, talents, or treasure.
The Board of Directors may award up to four (4) Distinguished Service Awards per year.
Charles J. and Claire O. Ping Recent Graduate Award
Awarded to alumni who have excelled in their chosen field and in their service to Ohio University and their communities within 15 years of graduating.
The Board of Directors may award up to two (2) Ping Recent Graduate Awards per year.
Fill out the nomination form for Charles J. and Claire O. Ping Recent Graduate Award.
Awarded to individuals who did not graduate from Ohio University, but have supported Ohio University and their communities with their time, talents, or treasure.
The Board of Directors may award up to two (2) Honorary Alumna/Alumnus of the Year Awards per year.
Fill out the nomination form for Honorary Alumna/Alumnus of the Year.
Can you think of a Bobcat that might be deserving of an award, but lack the background information to submit a formal nomination? Email Debbie Crabtree at firstname.lastname@example.org to submit a name for consideration at any time throughout the year.