The Scripps College of Communication is a leader in graduate education, offering innovative, nationally ranked programs ranging from one-year master's degrees for professionals taking the next step in their careers to doctoral programs that prepare the next generation of teachers, scholars and industry leaders. Graduate students join an active, diverse and talented academic community, representing many disciplines and professions, and many parts of the world. Creative, award-winning faculty bring a broad range of professional and academic experiences, innovative teaching practices, smart technology and grant-funded research projects to graduate education.
For applications for graduate study and financial aid, go to the The Graduate College. International applicants may visit ohio.edu/graduate/prospective-international-students for assistance.
Online Graduate Certificates
The fully-online graduate certificates from the Scripps College of Communication offer a flexible option for professional adults looking to bolster or enhance their skills in specific communication areas. Students receive personalized instruction from award-winning faculty who have extensive industry experience. These certificates are equally valuable to employers and employees, offering skill development in areas that will help to advance both organizational interests and individual careers.
- Crisis Communication: Effective crisis communication may save lives and property, and has the power to preserve organizational longevity. Prepare to guide your organization and communicate before, within, and after a crisis using proven crisis communication techniques and social media expertise.
- Interacting with the Media for Non-Journalists: Great media skills can spell career success while mediocre to poor skills may spell disaster. Focus on critical skills necessary to survive and thrive in our media landscape, like understanding how media works, tailoring and delivering an effective message, and responding in media interview situations.
- Interacting with the Media for STEM Professionals: STEM-related areas often have their own highly specialized language, which can make it difficult to convey the importance of your work and research to a lay audience. This certificate will help you use the news media and social media to convey your message and to advance your personal or professional brand.
- Digital Media Transformation and Innovation: In our rapidly-evolving digital media environment, organizations need people who can plan, develop and analyze digital media projects across industries. This certificate will prepare you to coordinate new technologies, create content, and distribute and monetize that content.
Each certificate is an individual, graduate-level credential from Ohio University’s Scripps College of Communication. Students can also choose to combine two certificates toward a master’s degree in Organizational Communication.
Master's Programs of Study
Students who are interested in advertising photography, product and still-life photography, fashion and portrait photography, architectural and interior design photography, and the business aspects of operating a photographic studio are suited for this track in our Master of Arts program.
The MFA in Communication Media Arts is a revolutionary degree designed in response to the rapidly evolving communication field. This degree will prepare select individuals for the leading edge of industry. Students in this three-year program will develop new creative production skills, infused with contextual knowledge, allowing them to explore applications of those skills and knowledge in the changing landscape of communication through hands-on, collaborative projects. We seek to enroll individuals with a minimum of three years of professional experience in the communication field who have at least one high-level digital production skill.
Masters of Arts in International Affairs through Communication and Development Studies, a partnership between the School of Media Arts & Studies and the Center for International Studies. The program stresses the use of communication to promote and support positive social development. The curriculum includes interdisciplinary perspectives on national development, area studies, and training in applied research methods.
The program provides opportunities to study professional journalism or prepare for further academic work by blending professionally oriented classes with mass communication principles, theory and research. Courses are available in broadcast journalism, magazine journalism, news writing/editing, public relations and multimedia (with Media Arts and Studies and Visual Communication).
- New technology and culture
- Media management and policy
- Multimedia (with Visual Communication and Journalism)
- Public broadcasting (with the university's PBS and NPR stations)
Masters of Arts in Organizational Communication through the School of Communication Studies. This online program is intended for working students who are seeking an advanced academic degree that focuses on the critical examination and understanding of the role of communication within the processes of organizing, decision making, and problem solving. This online degree combines a variety of distance technologies to provide students with a dynamic learning experience.
A renowned program that is part of VisCom’s legacy, the courses focus on documentary photojournalism and provide students the opportunity to go in-depth in their approach through editorial, essay, picture story, documentary and magazine photography and audio/video storytelling.
Mid-career professionals who wish to further enhance their skills in the visual communication field are suited for this track in the Master of Arts program. This intense two-semester program is geared toward students with five or more years of professional experience. The program is intentionally broad to give students the opportunity to choose much of their coursework, with the help of an advisor, to fit their individual professional goals.
Doctoral Programs of Study
Ph.D. in Communication Studies through the School of Communication Studies.
- Rhetoric and public culture
- Health communication
- Relating and organizing
Ph.D. in Mass Communication
Associate Dean for Graduate Studies, Research, and Creative Activity
Schoonover Center 121
1 Ohio University
Athens, OH 45701-2979
For a list of downloadable documents, please visit the forms and guidelines.