Proposal Preparation - B14
The Office of Research and Sponsored Programs (ORSP) Sponsored Programs Manager (SPM) collaborates with Ohio University faculty and staff on the development of grant proposals. This procedure provides general guidelines and resources for a successful proposal submission.
This procedure applies to all sponsored projects subject to OU Policy 19.045 Administering External Grants and Contracts set up as separate accounts in the OHIO Financial Management System (FMS).
Assistance with access and use of the various agency systems and agency specific information
Locate and complete application packages and forms
Obtaining Institutional Letters of Support
Inter- and intra-institutional collaborations
Coordination of submission with research administrators at collaborating institutions (subawards)
Research Compliance (IRB, IACUC, COI)
Technology Transfer (Confidentiality Agreements, Material Transfer, Non-disclosure, Intellectual Property)
Prepare Technical Proposal
The Biosketch is used to highlight each individual's qualifications for a specific role in a proposed project. Refer to the Agency opportunity requirements and Agency Specific Information on this website for guidance on preparing a biosketch (SciENcv).
Proposal Review and Routing
The review and approval of a proposal generally involves consideration of its quality, fiscal requirements, and compliance with university and sponsor policies and regulations.
Quality review is limited to basic quality control, i.e., assurance that the proposal meets the basic requirements of the sponsor guidelines.
ORSP checks budgets for adherence to sponsor guidelines and university policy.
ORSP carefully reviews for commitment of university resources, whether those resources are the time and effort of the investigator or other forms of cost sharing, such as space.
ORSP reviews proposals to assure compliance with agency and university policies.
Prior to proposal submission, the PI will complete an electronic Transmittal Form (eTF) in LEO.
To create an eTF, visit the LEO Transmittal System and click "Create a new transmittal". You can also create a new eTF using a previously approved eTF by clicking the template icon on the Approved forms list.
The eTF routes to all the designated signatories for review. This includes the Department Chair, Center Director, and Dean, or their delegates for each faculty and staff listed on the transmittal form. The proposal will only be submitted to the sponsor when all designated signatories have approved the eTF.
You can return to the LEO Transmittal System at any time to monitor your eTF through the process.
Proposal Development Resources
The following resources are intended to support faculty and staff as they prepare grant proposals.
- Statistical Data of Ohio University and the Appalachian Region Related to Your Proposal [Word]
- Consultant vs. Employee [Word] : Quick reference providing general definitions for classifying individuals as independent contractors or university employees.
- Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Letter Regarding Tax Exempt Status (2010) [PDF]
- Ohio University Self-Insurance Letter (2004) [PDF]
- Sample Letters of Participation for Subcontracts: If you have included a subcontract to another institution in your proposal, Ohio University requires a signed letter of participation from their Research Office, or the equivalent. This form must be signed by the authorized institutional official, not the Principal Investigator (PI). Please contact ORSP for more information on dealing with subcontracts.