Proposal Preparation - B14
The Office of Research and Sponsored Programs (ORSP) Sponsored Programs Manager (SPM) collaborates with Ohio University faculty and staff on the development of grant proposals. This procedure provides general guidelines and resources for a successful proposal submission.
This procedure applies to all sponsored projects subject to OU Policy 19.045 Administering External Grants and Contracts set up as separate accounts in the OHIO Financial Management System (FMS).
Assist with access and use of the various agency systems and agency specific information
Locate opportunity application packages and assist with completion of forms
Adherence to and interpretation of proposal guidelines
Review document formatting for adherence to sponsor guidelines
Assist with obtaining Institutional Letters of Support when needed
Assist in the development of budget
Coordinate Inter- and intra-institutional collaborations
Coordinate submission with research administrators at collaborating institutions (subawards)
Coordinate adherence to regulatory and research compliance requirements (e.g., IRB, IACUC, COI)
Coordinate with Technology Transfer for Confidentiality Agreements, Material Transfer, Non-disclosure, Intellectual Property, when necessary
Coordinate the Leo electronic transmittal form (eTF)
Prepare Technical Proposal
Proposal Submission Deadlines
Proposal Review and Approval Routing
Proposal Development Resources
The following resources are intended to support faculty and staff as they prepare grant proposals.
- Statistical Data of Ohio University and the Appalachian Region Related to Your Proposal [Word]
- Consultant vs. Employee [Word] : Quick reference providing general definitions for classifying individuals as independent contractors or university employees.
- Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Letter Regarding Tax Exempt Status (2010) [PDF]
- Ohio University Self-Insurance Letter (2004) [PDF]
- Sample Letters of Participation for Subcontracts: If you have included a subcontract to another institution in your proposal, Ohio University requires a signed letter of participation from their Research Office, or the equivalent. This form must be signed by the authorized institutional official, not the Principal Investigator (PI). Please contact ORSP for more information about subcontracting.
Questions regarding this procedure can be sent to email@example.com
There are no forms or templates for this procedure.
Roles and Responsibilities
CONTRIBUTOR: ORSP, CFAO/BUM
APPROVER: Department of Chair, Dean