Proposal Preparation - B14
The Office of Research and Sponsored Programs (ORSP) Sponsored Programs Manager (SPM) collaborates with Ohio University faculty and staff on the development of grant proposals. This procedure provides general guidelines and resources for a successful proposal submission.
This procedure applies to all sponsored projects subject to OU Policy 19.045 Administering External Grants and Contracts set up as separate accounts in the OHIO Financial Management System (FMS).
Assistance with access and use of the various agency systems and agency specific information
Locate and complete application packages and forms
Obtaining Institutional Letters of Support
Inter- and intra-institutional collaborations
Coordination of submission with research administrators at collaborating institutions (subawards)
Research Compliance (IRB, IACUC, COI)
Technology Transfer (Confidentiality Agreements, Material Transfer, Non-disclosure, Intellectual Property)
Prepare Technical Proposal
The Biosketch is used to highlight each individual's qualifications for a specific role in a proposed project. Refer to the Agency opportunity requirements and Agency Specific Information on this website for guidance on preparing a biosketch (SciENcv).
Proposal Submission Deadlines
Please be advised of ORSP’s one business day internal deadline for proposal submissions. Proposals that do not meet this deadline may be submitted to the sponsor with limited to no review. In such cases, the Principal Investigator (PI) will be responsible for actions taken by the sponsor for non-compliance. Also, there may be delays in accepting awards and establishing accounts resulting from these proposals.
Proposal Development Resources
The following resources are intended to support faculty and staff as they prepare grant proposals.
- Statistical Data of Ohio University and the Appalachian Region Related to Your Proposal [Word]
- Consultant vs. Employee [Word] : Quick reference providing general definitions for classifying individuals as independent contractors or university employees.
- Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Letter Regarding Tax Exempt Status (2010) [PDF]
- Ohio University Self-Insurance Letter (2004) [PDF]
- Sample Letters of Participation for Subcontracts: If you have included a subcontract to another institution in your proposal, Ohio University requires a signed letter of participation from their Research Office, or the equivalent. This form must be signed by the authorized institutional official, not the Principal Investigator (PI). Please contact ORSP for more information on dealing with subcontracts.