Diana Schwerha has served as an advisor for graduate students pursuing research in aging and ergonomics, usability of technology, and factors related to technology adoption among older users. She is currently the director of a NIOSH training project grant in occupational safety. She has published numerous journal articles and conference papers and has given presentations in the U.S. and Europe.
Visit Dr. Schwerha's personal website at dschwerha.netlify.com
Research Interests: aging worker retention, ergonomics, ergonomics for independently living seniors
All Degrees Earned: Ph.D., Industrial and Management Systems Engineering, West Virginia University, 2004; M.S., Occupational Hygiene and Occupational Safety, West Virginia University, 1996; B.S., Chemistry, Mary Washington College, 1989.
Journal Article, Academic Journal (9)
- Ahmadi, E., Masel, D., Schwerha, D., Hostetler, S. (2019). A bi-objective optimization approach for configuring surgical trays with ergonomic risk consideration. 4. 9: 327-341. https://doi.org/10.1080/24725579.2019.1620383.
- Hayden, M., Schwerha, D. (2019). Value Stream Maps: Improving Procurement of Ergonomic Equipment . 5. American Society of Safety Engineers; 64: 53-58.
- Ardjmand, E., Weckman, G., Snow, A., Schwerha, D. (2016). "An Approach to Analyzing the Retirement Satisfaction among Men and Women Based on Artificial Neural Networks and Decision Trees". 3 & 4. International Journal On Advances in Intelligent Systems; 9: 265-274.
- Lynch, K., Schwerha, D., Johanson, G. (2013). Development of a Weighted Heuristic for Website Evaluation for Older Adults. 6. International Journal of Human Computer Interaction; 29: 404-418. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10447318.2012.715277.
- Rinder, M., Weckman, G., Schwerha, D., Snow, A., Dreher, P., Park, N., Paschold, H., Young, W. (2012). Healthcare Scheduling by Data Mining, Literature Review and Future Directions. 3. Journal of Healthcare Engineering; 3: 477-502.
- Schwerha, D., Ritter, C., Robinson, S., Griffeth, R., Fried, D. (2011). Integrating Ergonomic Factors into the Decision to Retire. . 3. Amsterdam: Human Resource Management Review, Elsevier; 21: 220-227.
- Schwerha, D., Wiker, S., Jaraiedi, M. (2007). Effect of Distractors, Age, and Level of Education upon Psychomotor Task Learning. 37. International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics; 801-809.
- Schwerha, D., Orr, C., Chen, B., Soderholm, S. (2002). Direct-on-filter Analysis of Crystalline Silica Using Photoacustic Fourier Transform-infrared Spectroscopy. 457. Analytica Chimica Acta; 257-264.
- Schwerha, D., McMullin, D. (2002). Prioritizing Ergonomic Research in Aging for the 21st Century American Workforce. 28. International Journal of Experimental Aging Research; 99-110.
Journal Article, Professional Journal (1)
- Schwerha, D. (2010). Ergonomics for the Experienced. 11. Industrial Engineer; 42: https://www.iise.org/IEMagazine/Details.aspx?id=23902.
Conference Proceeding (20)
- Paravano, J., Schwerha, D. (2019). Assessment of commonly used training techniques and their overall effectiveness on the younger workforce. New Orleans, LA: XXXIst Annual International Occupational Ergonomics and Safety Conference.
- Haning, S., Schwerha, D. (2019). Women and Exoskeletons: Design and its Effect on Fit and Comfort. New Orleans, LA: XXXIst Annual International Occupational Ergonomics and Safety Conference.
- Schwerha, D., Guinsler, V. (2018). An Examination of the Musculoskeletal Impact of Residential Solar Panel Installation. Pittsburgh, PA: The XXXth Annual Occupational Ergonomics and Safety Conference.
- Schwerha, D., Boudinot, A., Loree, N. (2017). Integrating Safety with Process Improvement for Sustainable Manufacturing. Pittsburgh, PA: IISE Annual Conference.
- Boudinot, A., Schwerha, D., Loree, N. (2017). Integration of Safety and Process Improvement to Improve Perceived Incompatability. Pittsburgh, PA: IISE Annual Conference.
- Celibilek, ., Schwerha, D. (2013). Benchmarking Chronic Diseases and Prevention of U.S. States: DEA Approach. IERC.
- Schwerha, D., Jones, A., Liu, S., Ozercan, S., Zhou, J. (2011). Development of a Computer Skills Class for Older Adults Using a Service Learning Model. Philadelphia, PA: ASEE Mid Atlantic Conference 2010.
- Ritter, C., Robinson, S., Schwerha, D., Fried, D. (2011). An Empirical Evaluation of Ergonomics as a Distal Determinant in the Retirement Decision Process. 2011 Academy of Management Annual Meeting.
- Fried, D., Ritter, C., Milakovic, A., Tenbrink, A., Griffeth, R., Schwerha, D. (2011). Work-Role Attachment and Preferences to Extend Career Employment through Phased Retirement. 2011 Academy of Management Annual Meeting.
- Slover, S., Schwerha, D. (2011). Improving Website Heuristics through Participatory Design. 2011 Industrial Engineering Research Conference.
- Ritter, C., Schwerha, D., Gerasymchuk, D., Robinson, S., Griffeth, R. (2010). Sustaining Aging Workers: Development of a Model with Ergonomic Factors in teh Decision to Retire. Academy of Management Annual Meeting.
- Vadlamani, T., Schwerha, D., Griffeth, R. (2009). Multidimensional Scale for Ergonomics Risk Factors Related to Employee Retention. Proceedings of the 2009 Industrial Engineering Research Conference; May 30-June 3.
- Morse, B., Griffeth, R., Hom, P., Schwerha, D., Allen, D. (2009). The Cross-cultural Generalizability of the Turnover Events and Shocks Scale: An Assessment with Mexican Nurses. June 21-24. Proceedings of the 10th International Human Resource Management Conference.
- Schwerha, D., Bruce, C., Sanford, J., Gibson, S., Spokus, D., Whiting, H. (2009). The Role of Human Factors in Older Worker Retention: What do we know and what will we need to know? . CA: Human Factors and Ergonomic Society; 53rd Proceedings.
- Vadlamani, T., Schwerha, D., Griffeth, R. (2009). Multidimensional Scale for Ergonomics Risk Factors Related to Employee Retention.. Proceedings of the 2009 Industrial Engineering Research Conference.
- Schwerha, D., Liu, C., Ozercan, S., Vadlamani, T., Neiman, L. (2008). Second Life as a Pedagogical Tool for Improving Statistics Homework Sessions. West Point, NY: American Society for Engineering Education (Zone 1) Conference.
- Wiker, S., Schwerha, D., Jaraiedi, M. (2006). Impact of Auditory and Visual Distractors Upon Manual Assembly Task Learning Among Older Workers with Different Levels of Spatial Reasoning and Field Dependence . San Francisco, CA: 50th Annual Meeting of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society.
- Schwerha, D., Wiker, S., Jaraiedi, M. (2006). Impact of Age and Distractors upon Learning a Manual Assembly Task. Maastricht: 16th World Congress of the IEA.
- Schwerha, D. (2001). The Effect of Some Worker-Related Variables on Work Ability, Work Technique, and Number of Errors in a Packing Job. Minneapolis, MN: Human Factors and Ergonomics Society Conference.
- Schwerha, D., McMullin, D. (2000). Prioritizing Ergonomic Research in Aging for the 21st Century American Workforce. San Diego, CA: IEA 2000/HFES 2000 Congress.
Journal Article, Public or Trade Journal (4)
- Wiker, S., Schwerha, D., Jaraiedi, M. (2009). Auditory and Visual Distractor Decrement in Older Worker Manual Assembly Task Learning: Impact of Spatial Reasoning, Field Independence and Level of Education. 4. Human Factors and Ergonomics in Manufacturing; 19: 300-317.
- Kowalski-Trakofler, K., Steiner, L., Schwerha, D. (2005). Safety Considerations for the Aging Workforce. 10. Journal of Safety Science; 43: 779-793.
- Gao, P., Chen, B., Hearl, F., McCawley, M., Schwerha, D., Chen, W., Chen, J., Soderholm, S. (2000). Estimating Respirable Mass Concentrations from Historical Total Dust Measurements for Chinese Iron/Copper, Tin and Tungsten Miners and Pottery Workers. 4. Annals of Occupational Hygiene; 44: 251-257.
- Gao, P., Chen, B., Chen, J., Chen, W., Zhuang, Z., Hearl, F., Schwerha, D., McCawley, M., Soderholm, S. (1999). Two Approaches to Converting Historical Mining Dust Exposures into Respirable Fraction Based on the Microscope Sizing Measurements. 3. Chinese Journal of Industrial Hygiene and Occupational Diseases; 17: 1-16.
Research Report (3)
- Mallett, L., Schwerha, D., Peters, R. (2006). What Difference Does Age Make? Part 2: Coal Mining Injuries. Holmes Safety Bulletin; January/February: 10-18.
- Mallett, L., Schwerha, D., Peters, R. (2006). What Difference Does Age Make? Part 3: Metal or Mine Injuries. Holmes Safety Bulletin; March/April: 8-15.
- Schwerha, D., Mallett, L., Peters, R. (2005). What Difference Does Age Make? Part 1: Mining in all Commodities. Holmes Safety Bulletin; May/June: 9-16.
Study Guide (1)
- Porter, W., Mallett, L., Schwerha, D., Gallagher, S., Torma-Krajewski, J., Steiner, L. (2008). Age Awareness Training for Miners. 2008-133. Pittsburgh, PA: US Dept. of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health; June: 1-125.