Before coming to work at Ohio University in 2012, Timothy Cyders held various engineering positions in engineering testing, manufacturing, and machine design for companies such as Dana Corporation and General Electric's Consumer and Industrial division. He started his first business in 2008, and has done consulting work in design and manufacturing optimization for various industries since. He teaches courses associated with machine design, and has an active role in the program's senior design sequence, as well as collaborations with the entrepreneurship certificate program. Cyders does research in connection with both the Institute for Sustainable Energy and the Environment and the Center for Advanced Materials Processing.
Research Interests: Design, Flexible/Compliant Mechanisms, Materials, Engineering Education, Sustainable Power Generation
All Degrees Earned: Ph.D., Mechanical and Systems Engineering, Ohio University, 2012; M.S., Mechanical Engineering, Ohio University, 2008; B.S. Mechanical Engineering, Ohio University, 2006
- White teaching award, 2014
Journal Article, Academic Journal (2)
- Cyders, T., Prieto, C., Singer, M., Young, D. (2018). Investigation of Pitting Corrosion Initiation and Propagation of a Type 316L Stainless Steel Manufactured by the Direct Metal Laser Sintering Process. 2. Corrosion; 75: 140-143.
- Cyders, T., DiGiovanni, J., Wilhelm, J. (2017). Characterization of natural and recoil-induced vibration of an AR-15 rifle at the cheekbone-stock interface. 5. The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America; 141: 3833-3833. http://dx.doi.org/10.1121/1.4988516.
Conference Proceeding (4)
- Cyders, T. (2018). Modeling and Experimental Comparison of Effects of a Forging Post-Process on Additive Manufactured Metallurgy. Forging Industry Association Technical Conference.
- Kremer, G., Cyders, T., Juratovac, J., Oberhauser, J. (2018). Making experiences matter - attempts to increase recall and transfer in experiential learning. Rochester, NY: 2018 Capstone Design Conference.
- Cyders, T., DiGiovanni, J., Jay, W. (2017). Characterization of natural and recoil-induced vibration of an AR-15 rifle at the cheekbone-stock interface. 1. 30: 065011.
- Kraft, F., Cyders, T., Ali, M., Eboreime, O., Cramlet, A., Dickson, R., Hoff, E. (2016). Comparison of Extruded AA6063 T6 and T7 Properties. Wauconda, Illinois: Extrusion Technology for Aluminum Profiles Foundation; 2: 11. http://www.aec.org/?page=about_aboutetf.