Felipe Aros-Vera’s research spans the fields of Humanitarian Logistics, Operations Research, and Transportation and Urban Logistics. He uses mathematical optimization and operations research tools to model complex systems such as disaster supply chains, and, most recently, human trafficking networks. His work has been published in prestigious journals, including the European Journal of Operational Research (EJOR), Journal of Operations Management (JOM), and Transportation Research Part E and B. He is also the program director and adviser of the Russ College’s student organization Global Engineering Projects (GEP), which has a long-standing collaboration with the Village of Offinso-Maase in Ghana. The GEP has implemented a variety of engineering projects, including developing a solar pump for the village water supply, performing an analysis of the village’s electrical distributions system, and designing and constructing a playground and model teacher accommodations.
In 2019, Aros-Vera became the first co-chair of the ABR20(1) Subcommittee on Humanitarian Relief at the Transportation Research Board (TRB) of the National Academies of Sciences. He is also an active member of the College of Humanitarian Operations and Crisis Management at the Production and Operations Management Society (POMS), and a member of the Section on Location Analysis from INFORMS. He holds a Ph.D. in transportation engineering from the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI), and a M.S. and B.S. in engineering sciences from the Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile.
Journal Article, Academic Journal (15)
- Chertok, I., Melnikov, S., Chertok, I. (2021). Emergency and disaster response strategies to support mother-infant dyads during COVID-19. International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction.
- Aros-Vera, M., Gillian, S., Rehmar, A., Rehmar, L. (2021). Increasing the resilience of critical infrastructure networks through the strategic location of microgrids: A case study of Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico. 102055. International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction; 55: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S2212420921000212.
- Aros-Vera, M., Sadeghi, A., Younes Sinaki, R., Sormaz, D. (2020). A simulation-based framework for checkpoint design in large-scale crowd management: Case study of the papal mass in Philadelphia. 104701. Safety Science; 127: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0925753520300989.
- Jamar Kattel, P., Aros-Vera, M. (2020). Critical infrastructure location under supporting station dependencies considerations.. 100726. Socio-Economic Planning Sciences; 70: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0038012119300953?via%3Dihub.
- Loree, N., Aros-Vera, M. (2018). Points of distribution location and inventory management model for Post-Disaster Humanitarian Logistics. Transportation Research Part E; 116: 1-24. http://doi.org/10.1287/inte.2017.0929.
- Holguín-Veras, J., Hodge, S., Wojtowicz, J., Singh, C., Wang, C., Jaller, M., Aros-Vera, M., Ozbay, K., Meeks, A., Replogle, M., Ukegbu, C., Ban, J., Brom, M., Campbell, S., Sanchez-Díaz, I., González-Calderón, C., Kornhauser, A., Simon, M., McSherry, S., Rahman, A., Encarnación, T., Yang, X., Ramírez-Ríos, D., Kalahashti, L., Amaya, J., Silas, M., Allen, B., Cruz, B. (2018). The New York City Off-Hour Delivery Program: A Business and Community-Friendly Sustainability Program. 1. INFORMS Journal on Applied Analytics; 48: 70-86.
- Holguin-Veras, J., Amaya-Leal, J., Cantillo, V., Van Wassenhove, L., Aros-Vera, F., Jaller, M. (2016). Econometric estimation of deprivation cost functions: A contingent valuation experiment. 1. Journal of Operations Management; 45: 44-56. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jom.2016.05.008.
- Holguin-Veras, J., Aros-Vera, F., Browne, M. (2015). Agent Interactions and the Response of Supply Chains to Pricing and Incentives. 3. Economics of Transportation; 4: 147-155. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2212012215000192.
- Holguin-Veras, J., Aros-Vera, F. (2015). Self-Supported Freight Demand Management: Pricing and Incentives. 2. EURO Journal on Transportation and Logistics; 4: 237-260. http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s13676-013-0041-1.
- Holguin-Veras, J., Aros-Vera, F. (2014). Geographically Focused Incentives to Foster Off-Hour Deliveries: Theory and Performance. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board; 2411: 27-33. http://trrjournalonline.trb.org/doi/abs/10.3141/2411-04.
- Holguin-Veras, J., Taniguchi, E., Jaller, M., Aros-Vera, F., Ferreira, F., Thompson, R. (2014). The Tohoku Disasters: Chief Lessons Concerning the Post Disaster Humanitarian Logistics Response and Policy Implications. Journal of Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice; 69: 86-104. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0965856414001839.
- Holguin-Veras, J., Perez, N., Jaller, M., van Wassenhove, L., Aros-Vera, F. (2013). On the Appropriate Objective Function of Post-Disaster Humanitarian Logistics. Journal of Operations Management; 31(5): 262-280. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0272696313000417.
- Aros-Vera, F., Marianov, V., Mitchell, J. (2013). P-hub Approach for the Optimal Park-and-Ride Facility Location Problem. European Journal of Operational Research; 226(2): 277-285. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0377221712008223.
- Holguin-Veras, J., Reilly, J., Aros-Vera, F., Yushimito, W., Isa, J. (2012). Park-and-Ride facilities in New York City: Economic Analyses of Alternative Locations. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board; 2276: 123-130. http://trrjournalonline.trb.org/doi/10.3141/2276-15.
- Holguin-Veras, J., Yushimito, W., Aros-Vera, F., Reilly, J. (2012). User Rationality and Optimal Park-and-Ride Location Under Potential Demand Maximization. Transportation Research Part B: Methodological; 46(8): 949-970. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0191261512000367.
Book, Chapter in Scholarly Book (2)
- Holguin-Veras, J., Jaller, M., Aros-Vera, F., Amaya, J. (2016). Disaster Response Logistics: Chief Findings of Fieldwork Research. Springer; http://www.springer.com/us/book/9783319244167#aboutAuthors.
- Holguin-Veras, J., Jaller, M., Sanchez-Diaz, I., Aros-Vera, F., Campbell, S., Wang, C., Hodge, S. (2014). Off-Hour Delivery Program. CRC Press; http://www.crcpress.com/City-Logistics-Mapping-The-Future/Taniguchi-Thompson/9781482208894.
Conference Proceeding (2)
- Holguin-Veras, J., Campbell, S., Gonzalez-Calderon, C., Ramirez-Rios, D., Kalahasthi, L., Aros-Vera, F., Browne, M., Sanchez-Diaz, I. (2017). Importance and potential applications of freight and service activity models. City Logistics.
- Axel, C., van Aardt, J., Aros-Vera, F., Holguin-Veras, J. (2016). Remote sensing-based detection and quantification of roadway debris following natural disasters. International Society for Optics and Photonics.; 98320C-98320C.