How to Apply for Licensure
To apply for an Ohio license:
- Complete a License Education program approved by the Ohio Department of Education.
- Submit both a BCI and a FBI background check to the Ohio Department of Education. Applicants are required to make a set of fingerprint impressions and have them sent to the Bureau of Criminal Identification and Investigation (BCI).The reports should be sent directly to the Ohio Department of Education electronically from the office where the checks were completed. It is not necessary to send copies of background checks to Ohio University with your licensure submission.
- Submit passing scores on all required tests to Ohio University, Ohio Assessment for Educators and ACTFL. Praxis tests are no longer accepted for licensure as of July 1, 2019.
- Complete an application for licensure through ODE’s SAFE account.
- If OHIO recommends you for licensure, the Patton College will forward the application to the Ohio Department of Education, Office of Educator Licensure with the check or money order.
Note: Licensure applications will not be approved until the candidate has officially graduated from Ohio University and a degree is officially conferred. Graduation is not official until all financial "holds" are removed from a student’s record. The Patton College of Education must also have proof of the passing of required Ohio Assessment for Educator exams before the application can be forwarded to the Ohio Department of Education. The Ohio Department of Education usually needs 7-10 business days for processing. Applicants may check the status of their application at the Ohio Department of Education on the department's website. For any questions regarding OH|ID or ODE’s SAFE account, please contact The Ohio Department of Education.