Sociology M.A. Graduate Admissions
- Admissions Requirements
- Deadlines for Admission
- Contact Information
- Apply Now
- Pursuing a Second or Dual Master's Degree
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution with 20 semester hours of undergraduate courses in sociology. The department is quite flexible in evaluating undergraduate experience; however, the 20 hours should include courses in statistics, methods, and theory.
- Minimum GPA of 3.0.
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is recommended but not required. These scores are one component of a larger evaluation of an application and offer additional information in the overall assessment.
- A completed online application for admission: Transcripts of all academic work must be submitted with the online application.
- Written statement: Please attach to the online application a written statement describing areas of interest and reasons for wanting to study sociology.
- Writing sample: Please attach to the online application a writing sample such as a term paper.
- Letters of reference: Submit with application letters of reference from three persons qualified to evaluate capability for graduate study in sociology. At least two letters should come from college instructors.
- English Proficiency. All non-native English speakers must demonstrate English proficiency by submitting official test scores for either the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS academic). To be considered official, test scores must be reported directly from the testing agency to Ohio University. Minimum TOEFL-iBT 80. IELTS 6.5 minimum across all bands. More information on English Proficiency.
Deadlines for Admission
Fall Acceptance Only | Deadline is March 15
The master's program begins in fall semester, and the department is currently accepting applications for fall admission only. The application deadline is March 15.
Applications for spring may be considered on a case-by-case basis. Before submitting an application for spring semester, please contact either the graduate chair or the department administrator to confirm this would be an appropriate option.
The March 15 deadline is for complete application files, which means that all information and documents requested must be submitted by the deadline, including written statement, writing sample, all transcripts, GRE score (recommended but not required), TOEFL (for international applicants), and letters of recommendation.
Questions about the program may be directed to Dr. Stephen Scanlan, Graduate Director.
All graduate applications must be submitted electronically through the Graduate College.
Pursuing a Second or Dual Master's Degree
To pursue a second or dual master's degree, complete an application for the second degree. There is a fee associated with the application. In addition to the application, complete an Approval Form for Proposed Programs of Study for Students in Dual/Second Master's Degree Programs. Both the application and form can be obtained from the Graduate College.
Students enrolled in a master's degree program at Ohio University may apply for admission to the Sociology program using the Approval Form for Proposed Programs of Study for Students in Dual/Second Master's Degree Programs. Students enrolled elsewhere must meet admission requirements for initial admission to the Sociology program.