Spanish M.A. Graduate Admissions
Admission requires a completed bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution or graduation from a foreign institution with a degree that is equivalent to a U.S. bachelor’s degree.
The following application materials must all be submitted online prior to Jan. 15 for priority consideration:
- Online application form along with a nonrefundable application fee submitted to the Graduate College via the following link: https://grad.ohio.edu/apply/.
- Official transcripts and diplomas from post-secondary schools, sent to the Graduate College.
- Students can upload a copy of their transcript, marksheets, diploma and/or degree certificates with their on-line application, but they must also submit official copies by mail. An official transcript is one that arrives in an envelope that has been sealed by the issuing institution.
- If these documents are not in English, students will need a certified translation into English.
- All non-native English speakers must demonstrate English proficiency by submitting official test scores for either the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). TOEFL scores must be sent directly from ETS to Ohio University (code 1593). On the TOEFL, the program requires a minimum of 80 on the Internet based exam with all section scores at least a 17 and a speaking score of 24 to be considered for an assistantship. On the IELTS, the program requires a composite score of 6.0 with a speaking score of 7.0 and at least a 6.0 on all bands.
- Three letters of recommendation (preferably from professors who can comment on students’ academic progress). A letter from an employer is also very valuable.
- A written statement of purpose in either English or Spanish, and an essay response in the language not chosen above to: Describe an episode in your life where you needed to show leadership qualities, and explain how you grew from the experience.
- After initial review of applications, the graduate committee will schedule a telephone interview with the strongest candidates prior to making offers of admission.
This program permits full-time enrollment in residence at Ohio University, and an I-20 may be issued based on admission to this program.