Students will earn a high-quality bachelor’s degree in business plus a certificate or minor, while developing leadership and supervisory skills, learning to assess business risk and understand competitive challenges. Students pursuing the business program through the Zanesville campus will complete their degree in a hybrid format, through a mix of in-person and online coursework.
Bachelor of Science in Business (BSB)
Ohio University's Bachelor of Science in Business (BSB) program is designed to prepare students for business careers in marketing, human resources, supply chain management or technical project management. This Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) accredited program is also an excellent foundation for entry into a Master of Business Administration program. This program is transfer-friendly for those with previous college credits but can also be completed with no previous college coursework required.
Study general business concepts like marketing principles, business ethics, accounting, and economics while also taking courses that fit your specific career goals through the selection of a minor or certificate.
Students are required to complete 30 credit hours of pre-major with a 2.0 or better overall GPA:
- MATH 1200 - College Algebra (3) or MATH 1350 - Survey of Calculus (3) or MATH 1060 - Quantitative Reasoning (3) or MATH 1500 - Introductory Statistics (3)
- ACCT 1010 - Foundations of Accounting (3) or ATCH 1030 - Financial Accounting Procedures (3)
- ACCT 1020 - Decision Making with Accounting (3) or ATCH 1040 - Managerial Accounting Procedures (3)
- ECON 1030 - Microeconomics (3) or ECON 1000 - Survey of Economics (3)
- BA 1500 - Introduction to Business Communication and Professional Skills (3)
- QBA 1721 - Introduction to Information Analysis and Descriptive Analytics (Non-major) (3) or QBA 1720 - Introduction to Information Analysis and Descriptive Analytics (3) or QBA 2720 - Business Analytics (3)
- MGT 2000 - Introduction to Management (3) or BMT 1100 - Introduction to Management (3) or MGT 2100 - Introduction to Management and Organization (3)
- MKT 2020 - Marketing Principles (3) or BMT 1400 - Concepts of Marketing (3) or MKT 2400 - Introduction to Marketing Management (3)
- BMT 2000 - Introduction to Business Computing (3)
- BUSL 2000 - Law and Society or BUSL 2550 - The Legal Environment of Business (3)
Students are required to complete major requirements with a 2.0 or better overall GPA in the following:
- SAM 3000 - Managing Systems and Projects (3)
- SAM 3010 - Managing Processes and Supply Chains (3)
- SAM 3020 - Consumer Marketing (3)
- SAM 3050 - Supervision Management (3)
- SAM 3100 - Financial Management (3)
- SAM 4700 - Managing Strategically (3)
Business Skills and Experience
- SAM 3030 - Introduction to BSB and Career Development (1)
- MGT 3640 - Cultural Intelligence in Business (1)
- BA 3900 - Topics in Business Ethics (1)
- SAM 3905 - Internship and Career Preparation (1)
- SAM 3910 - Internship (1-3)
Approved Certificate or Minor Requirements
Students are required to complete one approved certificate or minor (15-18 credit hours).
- Marketing Minor (15 hours)
- Human Resource Management Certificate (15 hours)
- Supply Chain Management Certificate (15 hours)
- Technical Project Management Certificate (18 hours)
Note: Courses fulfilling both pre-major or major requirements and certificate or minor requirements may be double counted to complete both requirements.
Complete a total of 30 semester hours of courses at the 3000 level or above. Note: All 3000 – 4000 level courses taken in residence or transferred may apply toward this requirement.
By earning an AACSB-accredited Bachelor of Science in Business degree, you will be prepared for success in a wide variety of business careers and you’ll also earn a minor or certificate allowing you to specialize. Marketing, human resources, supply chain management and technical project management specializations lead to possible careers in industries like healthcare, technology, transportation, manufacturing, retail, and more.
- As of May 2021, business and financial operations occupations in Ohio earn an annual mean wage of $74,580.
- Employment demand for business operations specialists in Ohio is projected to grow by 4.4% by 2028.
Program Admission Requirements
Anyone who holds a high school diploma or has a GED certificate is eligible for admission to any Ohio University regional campus. Regional campuses have no deadline for admission during any semester; however, prospective students are advised to begin the application process as soon as possible so that they may be given important dates and deadlines in a timely manner.
Freshmen applicants are encouraged to complete an online application for enrollment. Official high school transcripts or a copy of GED scores must be sent directly to the Admissions Office.
If you have completed 12 hours of post-secondary education with at least a C average at an institution of higher learning, you are considered a transfer applicant at Ohio University. If you have completed fewer than 12 semester hours, you will apply as a freshman applicant.
To apply as a transfer student, applicants are encouraged to complete an online application for enrollment. Transcripts from all colleges previously attended must be sent directly to the Admissions Office address listed below.
The Bachelor of Science in Business is an Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) accredited program.
Dr. Brian Hoyt
Professor of Management