How to Apply
To declare the Pre-B.S.S. major
Students must attend a B.S.S. Information Session prior to beginning the B.S.S. proposal application process. During the COVID-19 pandemic, weekly B.S.S. information sessions are available online for students on all campuses. For print-based RHE students, please connect with your designated B.S.S. academic advisor for an orientation.
Prospective students may connect with our program several ways:
- In My Ohio Success Network, students may raise their hand for more information or an advisor may refer students to the B.S.S. program for more information.
- Students may call 740.593.1935 to sign up for one of the B.S.S. Information Sessions.
- For e-campus and regional higher education students, please declare your intention to become pre-B.S.S. with your academic advisor. Please call 740.593.1935 if you need assistance.
Your B.S.S. Information Session facilitator will e-mail you 30-60 minutes prior to the meeting with a link to Microsoft Teams (activate “Microsoft Teams” link with: https://www.ohio.edu/university-continuity/keep-learning/communicate).
B.S.S. Online Information Sessions
Tuesday, June 16, 2020
Thursday, June 25, 2020
Tuesday, July 5, 2020
10 am-11:30 pm
Monday, August 3, 2020
Friday, August 21, 2020
Wednesday, August 26, 2020
Baker University Center
Declaring the B.S.S. major code
Once a student has declared the pre-B.S.S. major, a B.S.S. academic advisor is assigned. Students are then encouraged to complete a rough draft of the proposal and meet with their B.S.S. academic advisor as quickly as possible.
At your first BSS advising meeting, you’ll review your “What-If pre-B.S.S.” DARS report to understand your own “construction zone” to build your major, agree to a timeline and adjust the My Ohio Success Network (MOSN) success plan accordingly, and review your rough draft. Depending upon the date of your meeting, discussing the adjustment of your current schedule to match your proposed draft may be important. Scheduling a 45-60 minute first advising session is strongly recommended.
Students are strongly encouraged to meet with a career coach at the Career and Leadership Development Center to assist with the creation of their transition plan within the proposal. If writing assistance is needed to draft the proposal, please work with a tutor at the Student Writing Center (ohio.edu/writing).
Students will collaborate with their advisor to revise and refine their proposal until it receives a “green light” (meets all criteria on the checklist and faculty rubric for the proposal). At that point, students will begin working with identified faculty partners no later than the green light deadline.
Once faculty partners support the student’s proposal, a pre-BSS student meets with their BSS advisor once more to formalize the submission of their proposal (attaching and signing off on the checklist) for admission to the BSS program.
The B.S.S Proposal Review Committee meets three times a year. Once a student’s proposal is admitted, their major code changes from “pre-B.S.S.” to “B.S.S,” and their approved curriculum appears on the DARS report.
A proposal deadline means that a student’s program proposal is complete with a checklist and appropriate faculty partnership endorsements and advisor signatures.
A green light deadline is the final date by which a student’s proposal must receive a “green light” from their B.S.S. advisor before starting proposal collaboration with faculty partners. Students whose proposals do not have a green light by the appropriate deadline are ineligible to apply for residency that term. To receive a green light, the proposal must meet the criteria on the proposal checklist and faculty rubric, as determined by the advisor.
- Spring 2020 residency: Friday, February 14, 2020
- First draft recommended by November 15, 2019
- Green light deadline to be prepared for spring 2020 residency: Friday, January 24, 2020.
- Summer 2020 residency: Friday, July 31, 2020
- First draft recommended by March 15, 2020.
- Green light deadline for summer 2020 residency: Monday, June 15, 2020.
- Fall 2020 residency: Thursday, October 15, 2020
- First draft recommended by August 15, 2020
- Green light deadline for fall 2020 residency: Tuesday, September 22, 2020
Already attended an information session?
- Contact University College if you did not receive the post-information session pre-B.S.S. major declaration link and application packet. Your attendance at the information session will be verified.
- Contact UC to schedule an advising appointment with your B.S.S. advisor to develop your application. Bring a rough draft of your proposal.
Pre-B.S.S. Major Code
Only students who have attended a B.S.S. Information Session are eligible to receive a pre-BSS major code link. Call 740-593-1935 if you are unable to find your “Next Steps to be Pre-B.S.S.” e-mail. Only students whose attendance can be verified from an information/advising session will be added to the pre-major code.
Once students are pre-B.S.S. and have been oriented to the program, they’re encouraged to create a rough draft in the proposal template. Bring this to the first meeting with your B.S.S. advisor. Seek assistance from the Student Writing Center if you need assistance drafting your proposal. Utilize the Proposal Template Guide for clarification on the template components.
The proposal timeline will be discussed/adjusted in conjunction with your B.S.S. Success Plan in My Ohio Success Network. The timeline is designed to keep you on track with the key milestones to develop your B.S.S. proposal.