Admission: Graduate School
Applying to VisCom
The deadline to apply for domestic and international applicants is February 1.
- For the Master of Arts (M.A.) degree: When filling out the online application, please select Masters of Visual Communication, MA6930. All four tracks fall under this degree title.
- For the Master of Fine Arts (M.F.A.) degree: To apply to the the Master of Fine Arts program, please select MFA — Communication Media Arts, MF5377.
Bachelor’s degree with a minimum 3.0 grade point average (GPA) on a 4.0 scale. Other factors, including having professional experience or an outstanding portfolio, may be considered for probationary admission if the undergraduate GPA is below the minimum requirement.
Required application materials for the M.A. program
*Note: all materials should be uploaded via the online application.
- Application forms are in the Graduate Service’s Online Application System, including the application fee.
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended submitted online or sent to the Graduate College.
- A 500-word Statement of Intent outlining why you want to attend our graduate program. (Note: If applying for the Knight Fellowship, include an additional 500-word or less statement about how you hope to engage with students and take part in the university community.)
- A resume/CV.
- Link to an online portfolio (can be included on resume), or link to downloadable file of work samples.
- Three letters of recommendation.
- VisCom does NOT require applicants to take the GRE.
Questions? Please contact Graduate Director Stan Alost, email@example.com.
International students: Language requirements
Proficiency in reading, writing, speaking, and understanding English is essential to your success at Ohio University. All students whose native language is not English are required to demonstrate English language competency by achieving an adequate score one of two proficiency exams within the last two years: the IELTS: International English Language Testing System or the TOEFL: The Test of English as a Foreign Language. Current minimum score requirements for VisCom is a TOEFL of 600 (new score: 100).
The Ohio University institution code for reporting the TOEFL is 1593.
To learn more, including submitting IETLS results to Ohio University, please see the English Proficiency Requirements provided by Ohio University’s Graduate College.
The application deadline for applying (for domestic and international students) is February 1. Only applicants who have submitted all materials will receive full consideration. A campus visit prior to the application deadline is strongly recommended. All applicants are considered for available funding/financial support.