What is Scripps First?
Having an interest in communication can mean a lot of different things--you may love writing, broadcast journalism, taking photographs, making videos, connecting people electronically, or any number of other pursuits that are related to our focus in the Scripps College of Communication. We've found that it's not always easy for high school students to fully grasp the many opportunities available in the communication field. Many students don't even discover the programs we offer until they're already enrolled at OHIO. While any time is a good time to discover what we have to offer, we know that many students have identified an interest in the communication field as early as middle school.
We designed the Scripps First program to help connect students in middle school and high school to all the opportunities we offer. Through Scripps First, you can develop skills, discover new technologies, and establish relationships with mentors and advisors.
Who is it for?
Students in grades 7-12 who want to gain a broader understanding of how communication relates to technology, media creation, and our everyday lives. This is a great opportunity if you love writing, problem-solving or creativity.
What does it offer?
This premier program allows students in middle and high schools to attend events, participate in programming, and get a general feel for college life as a student majoring in communication.
How do I qualify?
To qualify for Scripps First, you must be a student in good standing at your current school and your school must be willing to advise/sign off on your participation. Then, just fill out our brief survey. That’s it! It’s really that easy!
How does it work?
As a Scripps First student, you will be eligible to participate in on-campus and off-campus events. You can earn points for your participation, and if you graduate with enough points to earn designation as a Scripps First Scholar, you’ll receive an honor cord signifying your completion of the program. If you are admitted to and choose to attend Ohio University’s Scripps College of Communication as a freshman, you would also be eligible for a $500 scholarship. Please note that participation in Scripps First is not a guarantee of admission to Ohio University. Learn more about University admission guidelines.
Along the way, you may expect discounted pricing for summer workshops, fee waivers for the admission application to Ohio University, access to mentoring and mini-workshop sessions, and exclusive access to college student support staff who can answer your questions about courses, transfer credits, applying to college, and anything else you need to know on your path to college.
While the program will evolve over time, here are some examples of how you can earn points to apply toward a Scripps First Scholar recognition:
- Attend seminars or special events being offered by the college either in person or virtually.
- Attend campus visit programs hosted by Undergraduate Admissions
- Take a College Credit Plus course associated with communication in the Scripps College
- Participate in summer coding camp, the high school journalism workshop, the high school media workshop, or another program
- Participate in requested surveys
- Attend Experience Scripps Day, an event we host each spring for high school students to learn more about the opportunities available in the field of communication
- Meet with college student services staff
- Serve on your school’s newspaper, media team, yearbook staff or other communication-related organization
- Follow us on social media
- Help plan a field trip to visit us for your school or a group of friends
How can I learn more?
We hope this will be a fun way for you to interact with us. If you would like more information, click here to share your information with us. If you have questions, please email Scripps@ohio.edu or call 740-593-4884.
Scripps First is a college initiative made possible in part by funding from the AT&T Foundation.