Graduate Studies, Research and Creative Activity
Although the pandemic has caused significant disruptions in research and creative activity, I just want to take a moment to thank you for everything you have done to adapt to a difficult and changing environment. I often tell people that the reason I love my job is being in an engaged, creative, and collegial environment every day, that I am privileged to work with smart, passionate, and dedicated students and faculty. Even though we don’t share the same physical space right now, I hope you’re also finding that environment continues to exist in some form.
Because of some of the work those colleagues have done, there are still many ways to engage on research and creative activity. Cancelled conferences have moved to a virtual presentation mode (including Broadcast Education Association, International Communication Association, SXSW, and others). Locally, the Office of Research will be hosting the #OUVirtualExpo in place of the annual Student Expo on Thursday, April 9.
- All OHIO students are eligible to participate in #OUVirtualExpo—no pre-registration required.
- On the 9, students will post about their research and creative works to their Twitter and/or Instagram accounts.
- Be sure to tag @bobcatsdiscover and others, and include #OUVirtualExpo in the post.
- Everyone is encouraged to join us @bobcatsdiscover (Twitter) and @bobcatsdiscover (Instagram) to view, re-post, like and comment on posts.
- Presenters are encouraged to post to other platforms as well; just remember the #OUVirtualExpo hashtag so we can find you!
- Students who post about their research/creative activity and use the #OUVirtualExpo hashtag get a t-shirt mailed to them after the event. Small prizes--TweetTreats (7oz Hershey's Kisses)--will be awarded for creative and high engagement posts.
All the details are at https://www.ohio.edu/studentexpo.
I also wanted to share a quick reminder that there is still time to submit nominations for Ohio University’s 2020-21 Presidential Research Scholars awards program. These competitive awards of $3,000 recognize faculty excellence in research, scholarship, and creative activity. This program is targeted to “scholars who have garnered national and international reputations within their respective fields and who demonstrate clear promise for continued, significant productivity in their research/creative activity.” For 2020-21, applications are being solicited for (1) Arts and Humanities and (2) Life and Biomedical Sciences. (For 2021-22, applications will be solicited for Social and Behavioral Sciences and Physical Sciences and Engineering.) The nomination deadline is April 23 at 4 p.m.; guidelines can be found here, or on the Internal Funding page of the Office of Research.
Upcoming OHIO graduate studies, research & creative activity events:
Although we can’t physically meet for Casual Friday office hours this month, I am holding relaxed discussions via Teams on April 10 (5-6 p.m.); April 17 (1:30 to 2:30 p.m.); and April 24 (9-10 a.m.).
The Graduate College is holding weekly office hours by topic this month. A list of the topic areas and days/times offered can be found on the Graduate College front page (in the COVID-19 section).
The Student Research & Creative Activity Expo has also moved into remote online mode for April 9.
Calls for Submissions
Midwest Popular Culture Association/Midwest American Culture Association annual conference
Ohio Communication Association annual conference, “Navigating A Changing Field: Introspection, Reflection, Action”
Semiotic Society of America annual conference, “Addressing Precarity: Semiotics, Semiosis, and Semioethics.”
American Journalism Historians Association national convention
Center for Intercultural Dialogue 3rd Annual Student Video Competition: “Listening is how intercultural dialogue starts”
Current calls for proposals at In Media Res include:
- Streaming Wars (proposal deadline April 24)
- Queerness in Games (proposal deadline May 11)
- Exploring Law & Order (proposal deadline May 22)
- Watchmen (proposal deadline August 28)
- Consent Culture (proposal deadline November 23)
Details on these and more at http://mediacommons.org/imr/how-it-works.