Internships and Jobs
We at the Scripps College of Communication believe students should learn and grow both in and outside of the classroom. Find out more about some of the work being done by Scripps College of Communication students and alumni!
The success of our graduates starts with a strong internship program. Internships give students valuable real-world experiences that help in gaining the experience needed to secure full-time employment in the communication industry.
How to Find an Internship
Where would like to intern? Think about the type of internship, possible company and geographic location (city or state).
- Think about the type of internship experience you want to have. What skills do you want to build during this experience? Think about your long-term career path.
- Network on LinkedIn and the Bobcat Network with professors, friends, family and other Bobcats.
- Ask questions about how they got to where they are now, ask for industry feedback, and ask for tips on how to break into the industry.
- Expand your network by asking if they know anyone else you need to meet and with whom to speak.
- Always follow up with people you meet.
- Social Media:
- LinkedIn – Get established since this is a professional networking site. Update your profile with your career accomplishments, company information and education.
- Twitter – Allows you to tap into community sharing similar interest. Look for opportunities to share your ideas, opinions and interests with people you respect professionally.
- Facebook – Great place to promote your professional brand. Post informational articles, follow trends, connect with your friends. Clean-up Facebook (remove any suspect photos) or make them private. Do not post anything you would not place on the front of the local newspaper.
- Prepare a Résumé – Assistance is through the Career and Leadership Development Center (5th Floor Baker Center).
- Where to look for an internship?
- Handshake - As an Ohio University student, you already have an account! Log in, fill out your profile and use the search tools to find opportunities from throughout the country and the world.
- Student Development Newsletter from the dean’s office - This is sent each week directly to your OHIO email in-box. If you aren't seeing it, search your Spam, Clutter or Junk folders for emails from "Scripps College of Communication via Handshake."
- Specific company websites – If you’re interested in a particular geographic area, you may need to look at the possibilities and then make inquiries. For example, if you want to intern at a newspaper, first make a list of the newspapers in the area and then do some research on their websites to see if they list internships. If not, you might contact them and let them know you are interested.
- Investigate – Not everyone lets us know about their internships so you might need to scout some out on your own through the following websites:
- Ohio internships
- National internships
- International internships
Scripps Howard Company and Scripps Howard Foundation
In 2006, the Scripps Howard Foundation announced a $15 million gift to the Scripps College of Communication to support a wide variety of programs and initiatives involving scholarships and internships, among other things. Because of this unique partnership, Scripps College of Communication students are encouraged to explore careers at the Scripps companies. Openings can be found at scripps.com/careers.
Reporting Internships & Experiential Learning for Students
Are you an Ohio University Scripps College of Communication student headed into an internship experience this summer or completing experiential learning? We'd love to know about it!
The Scripps College of Communication is instituting new reporting forms for these types of experiences beginning this summer for ALL students across the college! Please help us to track the amazing internships and experiences you're completing by filling out the following forms at the conclusion of your experience:
These forms automatically trigger an email to your supervisor for evaluation purposes, helping you to meet requirements for your individual programs. Please reach out to Director of Student Development Erin Roberts with questions or concerns!
- Virtual Video Production Lead & Content Creator and Social Media Marketer Internships, Compassionate Muse, deadline ASAP
- Washington Post Summer 2022 Newsroom Internship, Students must be current juniors, seniors or graduate students as of the application deadline. No exceptions. Students must have had previous experience in a major newsroom. This is a paid position: $750/week. Deadline 10/6/21.
- Boston Globe Summer Internship Program, openings in News, Sports, Features, Business, Photography, Design, Copy editing, deadline 11/1/21. Direct any questions to Gregory Lee, Senior Assistant Managing Editor, Talent and Community, The Boston Globe, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Sports Journalism Institute. Students get a week plus training at an intense boot camp at Arizona State University and then they will be shipped off to a paid summer internship. Website: www.sportsjournalisminstitute.org. Deadline 11/1/21. Direct any questions to Gregory Lee, Senior Assistant Managing Editor, Talent and Community, The Boston Globe, at email@example.com.
- The Virginian-Pilot summer newsroom internship program, deadline 11/12
- NewsDepth Digital Production Intern: Are you studying Journalism or Digital Media Production and looking to be mentored by award-winning media producers? Hoping to spend your fall or spring semester working an internship that will teach you new video, writing, and digital skills and never require you to fetch someone’s coffee? NewsDepth is looking for fall and spring interns to assist in local content creation for NewsDepth, Ideastream Public Media’s interactive digital series for elementary and middle school students. Typical intern duties include but are not limited to research, scriptwriting, camera work, video editing, and web posting.
Part-Time Campus Jobs
- OHIO Game Day Security & Guest Services Staff opportunity
Permanent & Full-Time Opportunities