Independent Global Health Opportunities
Ohio University has extended student travel restrictions for OHIO-sponsored programs through spring semester 2021. This encompasses all official student travel, including independent international travel opportunities.
If the risk of COVID-19 declines, the university may reopen travel for summer of 2021. Once reopened, university travel pre-approval is required and no students will be permitted to travel without first receiving approval. **See the appropriate section below (PT, HCOM I & II or HCOM III & IV) if you are interested in seeking approval for 2021 travel.
During the COVID-19 Pandemic, participation in study away and abroad involves real and potential personal, financial and academic risk. Please click here to read information related to travel during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Where to Find Global Health Opportunities
The Global Health Initiative initiative and the Office of Global Opportunities website provide information on all OHIO faculty directed study abroad programs and links to information on affiliated third party provider organizations that offer study abroad, exchange, work, internship and service learning experiences. Several of these third party programs offer public health, global health and other community health opportunities. You can find more information on Non-OHIO programs, volunteer opportunities, internships, independent study, research or OHIO affiliated travel here. We recommend that as an OHIO student all education related travel including volunteer opportunities, be registered with the Office of Global Opportunities by completing and submitting a Travel Packet which also registers you for International Health & Evacuation Insurance.
Child Family Health International and International Service Learning offer opportunities with sustained community health programs in several countries. These programs offer clinical experiences for the healthcare professions as well as general global health opportunities.
Questions? Come see us in Grover Center E118 or contact us at email@example.com!
Global Health Independent Opportunities for:
**As applications for this program are due a year in advance, no changes are posted related to application during COVID travel restrictions.
Students in the Doctor of Physical Therapy Program have the option of completing an 8-12 week clinical experience with Eduglobal within six rehabilitation centers in Italy either in the spring or summer of their 3rd year.
- Contact Paula DeLorm for more information.
- Follow the PT Eduglobal Placements Checklist (PDF).
- Apply to Eduglobal by the Eduglobal deadline (February 15, April 15 or June 15) of the year prior to travel.
- Once your placement is confirmed, complete the online application and supplemental application (Word). In the online system look for Italy: PT Eduglobal Placement.
- Review, sign and return the Guidelines for Ethical Practice for International Programs (PDF).
- For credit, follow the instructions provided by the PT Program.
Heritage College Students
Heritage College students can participate in programs with Child Family Health International and International Service Learning. Heritage College students can also arrange their own programs through church organizations, other universities, hospitals and the American Medical Student Association.
Select your program carefully. This article identifies some of the issues to consider: " Some Health Programs Overseas Let Students Do Too Much Too Soon. "
The summer between the first and second years at the Heritage College offer an opportunity for medical students to participate in independent medical related travel. Year one and two students do not receive credit for this travel and are NOT covered under Heritage College malpractice insurance. Please follow these steps to register medical related travel with the Heritage College and Ohio University.
Along with COVID restrictions, travel to countries with state department warnings is discouraged. Travel to countries with International SOS Ratings of medium or higher may require additional review. Information on current state department warnings can be found at: Travel.State.Gov. You will be provided with international health insurance coverage for your travel and the cost will be posted to your OHIO student account.
First Steps - Heritage College Years 1 and 2 - Independent Medical Related Travel
**Updated to include travel during COVID approval process.
- Complete the supplemental application. (This is a Qualtrics form that opens in a new window). This form will also help you prepare for the COVID Risk Assessment travel approval process.
- To apply for approval to travel in summer 2021, review and submit your pre-approval request by following the instructions at this link: https://www.ohio.edu/goglobal/resources/riskmanagement. Click on "Risk Assessment" on the left hand side of the page and select "Students". You will want to plan ahead and complete the pre-approval request by April 1, 2021 for summer travel, June 1 for fall travel and August 1 for winter break and spring 2022 travel. You should not purchase airfare or make other non-refundable payments before being notified of approval.
- Once you are approved for travel, complete the Travel Registration Packet (PDF) and return to the Global Health Initiative. We will forward to the office of global opportunities.
- Once you are approved for travel, also register your travel at https://www.ohio.edu/goglobal/resources/health-safety/mytrips
- Documents will be reviewed by the Global Health Initiative and you will be notified by e-mail if there are any additional resources needed for your safety and security.
- Follow the Global Medical Related Travel Checklist (PDF) to complete preparations for your trip.
Malpractice Insurance Coverage
International malpractice insurance is available through the Academic Group if requested by your host organization.
**Updated to include travel during COVID approval process.
The fourth year is the ideal time for OCOM 8911 Elective Global Health Rotations and we suggest that all fourth year rotations be completed by mid-April. The third year academic calendar does not allow for elective rotations. The third year 4 week winter break is a mandatory break. To receive credit students must complete the application process and work with your Academic Program Administrator to ensure that there is a preceptor and education/affiliation agreement in place. You must be in good academic and judicial standing to participate. All Global Health Elective rotations must be planned 6-12 months in advance. Applications for Spring rotations should be submitted by November 1 of the previous year, or risk not being approved.
First Steps - Heritage College Year 4 - OCOM 8911 Global Health Elective (Updated for pre-approval process for travel during Covid)
- Contact the Global Health Initiative to indicate your interest in an independent rotation. We are happy to provide assistance in identifying a location or program and completing the application process.
- Identify a program, location and preceptor. * Note 2021-2022 some countries may not be approved due to Covid-19 status.
- Follow the Checklist for Global Health Elective Rotations(PDF) to apply for the program and complete the necessary paperwork. The application process includes payment of a $150 administrative fee.
- Complete the supplemental application.
- Review and submit a pre-approval request by following the instructions at this link: https://www.ohio.edu/goglobal/resources/riskmanagement. Click on "Risk Assessment" on the left hand side of the page and select "Students". You will want to plan ahead and complete the pre-approval request by June 1 for fall travel and August 1 for winter break/spring semester travel. You should not purchase airfare or make other non-refundable payments before being notified of pre-approval and of your application approval.
- If your preceptor and/or international host institution do not have current agreements with OHIO, you will need to request that your Academic Program Administrator initiate the completion of a Faculty Profile Form and a host institution Affiliation or Educational Agreement. These forms must be received before your rotation can be approved (your APA office may contact the Global Health Initiative if they need more information on this process).
- Complete the online application. In the online application system look for the program Various: Independent International Rotation (Medical) (Year of Travel). . *Please note if you are travelling with other students you must independently complete the supplemental application.
- For credit, follow the appropriate OCOM 8911 syllabus: Class of 2021 (PDF)
Rotations to countries with State Department Warnings will not be approved. Travel to countries with International SOS ratings of medium or higher may require additional review. Information on current state department warnings can be found at: https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings.html
Malpractice Insurance Coverage
Students participating in for credit courses are covered under Ohio University's malpractice insurance coverage for Global Health Elective Rotations.
Sites with Existing Agreements
|Child Family Health International||
Multiple locations and topic areas;
Virtual Opportunities for 2020
|affiliation agreement; preceptor documentation|
|Centro Evagelico de Medicina do Lubango - Dr. Tim Kubacki||General; Angola remote firstname.lastname@example.org||Affiliation agreement; preceptor documentation|
|CerviCusco||Cusco, Peru; women's cervical cancer clinic||www.friendsofcervicusco.org||Affiliation Agreement; preceptor documentation|
|University Hospital, University of Crete||General; Crete, Greece||contact Evi Kortsidaki;email@example.com||
|Cacha Medical Spanish Institute - Cachamsi||Riobamba, Ecuador||https://www.cachamsi.com/||Affiliation Agreement, preceptor documentation|