Travel Awards and Financial Aid
Looking to participate in a global health opportunity but not sure how to pay for it? Below are some resources to help you.
Student Financial Aid
Most financial aid can be applied to the costs of international programs. Click here for information about using financial aid and funding for global opportunities from the Office of Global Opportunities website.
For more information, undergraduate and graduate OHIO students should contact the Office of Student Financial Aid and Scholarships to confirm your aid package. Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine students should contact the Office of Student Affairs.
Global Health Travel Award
The Global Health Travel Award is available to HSP and HCOM students participating in OHIO Global Health faculty led programs and HCOM Global Health Elective rotations. Click here for the application. Applications for Spring 2022 are due November 1, 2021 at 11:59 pm (EST) and for Summer 2022 by March 1, 2021 at 11:59 pm (EST)
OHIO Infectious and Tropical Disease Institute (ITDI) Travel Awards
Students participating in programs in Ecuador sponsored by ITDI can apply for the Infectious and Tropical Disease Institute Travel Award Eligible programs include the Tropical Disease Research program, the Nursing and Medicine program and the Community and Public Health program.
OHIO Travel Scholarships
Ohio University has a number of scholarships and travel awards to offer students who want to go abroad.
- Office of Global Opportunities Study Abroad Scholarships offers a variety of awards, the list of awards are provided in the table below.
- Other OHIO-sponsored scholarships are available for OHIO students. Make sure to review all the eligibility requirements and guidelines before applying to ensure that your program and plans meet the grant award expectations.
- Ohio University is also a member of the Ohio International Consortium Study Abroad, and Ohio residents, who are at least a rising sophomore with a minimum of a 3.0 GPA, are eligible for scholarships offered through the consortium.
- Due Dates are listed on the OGO Scholarship page.
Ohio University has a number of awards for students to fund research while they travel abroad. If you are interested in conducting research while on a Global Health program, make sure to communicate with the program director to ensure that any research ideas are feasible and appropriate for the program/site.
- Student Enhancement Awards: The Student Enhancement Awards, sponsored by the Ohio University Council for Research, Scholarship and Creative Activity, assists undergraduate, graduate, and medical students, under the guidance of a faculty mentor, by providing funds for research and presentation of their research at professional conferences. The awards are based on competitive research proposals and provide funding ($6,000 maximum) for up to one year.
- OHIO Research Funds: The Office of the Vice President for Research and Creative Activity oversees several Internal Award program to support the research, scholarship and creative activity of faculty, staff and students. Information and applications are available here.
Non-Traditional Forms of Funding
There are other ways to raise funds for your global health experience abroad.
- GoFundMe : GoFundMe is a personal online fundraising website for individuals, groups and organizations.
- Community organizations, clubs and societies: reach out to different organizations, churches, societies (like Greek Life, Honor’s Societies, Key Club, etc.) for academic scholarships available.
Please check with the appropriate office in your home school for available funding opportunities.