Ohio University currently offers two graduate programs that are tailored to secondary school teachers who are seeking the required credentials for approval as a dual enrollment instructor. Please note, successful completion of an Ohio University graduate program does not guarantee approval as a dual enrollment instructor. Please see the Teacher Approval section of this website for more information.
Master of Arts in English (MA)
The Master of Arts in English is ideal for teachers who want to deepen their knowledge of literature and writing and earn credential to teach college level courses. While many master's degree programs for teachers include study of teaching methods, Ohio University's program focuses on English content: literary history and analysis; composition and rhetoric; and creative writing. All coursework for the Master of Arts in English is entirely online. No campus visits are required. Graduates of the program are welcomed and encouraged to participate in commencement ceremonies, which are held in May of each year.
- Ideal for teachers to study specific English content while earning a master's degree
- Earn qualification to teach English courses at Ohio high schools for dual enrollment credit!
- Start in summer (mid-May) and finish in as few as 18 months/4 semesters
- Only 8 courses (32 credit hours)
- No GRE required
Master of Social Sciences (MSS)
The Master of Social Sciences offers courses in history, geography, political science, women's and gender studies, and anthropology to gain a deeper knowledge of the subject content. Teaching methods courses are not included in the program.
- Ideal for teachers who want to study content
- Beneficial for public administrators
- Only 8 courses (32 credit hours) required; fully online
- Finish in a few as 18 months/4 semesters
- 3 start dates: August, January or May
Master of Science in Chemistry (M.S.)
The Master of Science in Chemistry is a non-thesis option program that has been optimized to allow students to earn a master’s degree in a short amount of time (as little as three semesters), while acquiring skills and knowledge in a wide range of topics.
Convenient online courses are designed for science teachers and working professionals.
- Convenient online courses
- Designed for science teachers and professionals
- No thesis
- 30 credits—can be completed in three semesters.
- No GRE
Traditional Degree Programs
Ohio University offers a wide range of traditional graduate programs within subject areas that would align well with high school graduation requirements in Ohio. For a list of available programs please visit: