Teacher Approval Process
High school instructors who wish to teach an Ohio University course must meet the same requirements for faculty employed by the university, as stipulated for accreditation by the Higher Learning Commission and the Ohio Department of Higher Education.
In order to instruct college-level courses and in keeping with state requirements, it is expected that at a minimum secondary school teachers will hold a master's or doctorate degree in the content area of the course in which they are teaching or a master's degree and at least 18 credit hours completed at the graduate level in the content area in which they are teaching. Some Ohio University departments may require credentials above and beyond the state minimums.
Minimum Criteria for Teacher Approvals
The following document lists the minimum credentials required of secondary school teachers in order to be evaluated by Ohio University as a dual enrollment instructor. Meeting minimum credentials does not guarantee approval. Secondary teachers interested in instructing an Ohio University course must follow the teacher approval process by submitting the Dual Enrollment Teacher Application and supporting documentation as outlined below. Please note that this is not an exhaustive list of all academic departments.
High school teachers must follow the steps below in order to be considered as a dual enrollment instructor for Ohio University. Please note that if you do not have Adobe Acrobat Reader, you may download the free version to view the PDF documents referenced below.
- Carefully read all Dual Enrollment Teacher Application Instructions [PDF] .
- Complete the online Dual Enrollment Teacher Application.
- Submit Required Documentation. After submission of the online teacher application form, applicants will receive an email containing instructions on how to upload the following required documentation via a secure submission form:
- Cover letter or personal statement. The letter should address the applicants professional experiences as they relate to their ability to instruct a college level course.
- Current resume / CV
- Academic transcripts. All undergraduate- and graduate-level college transcripts from all previously attended institutions. For the purpose of teacher approval, Ohio University will require from teacher applicants undergraduate and graduate-level transcripts from all previously attended intuitions. Copies of transcripts and transcripts forwarded from the teacher’s secondary school are acceptable. Official transcripts may be required from teachers who also wish to be hired by Ohio University as adjunct faculty members.
- Letter(s) of Recommendation. At least one professional letter of recommendation from either a current curriculum chair or principal.
The application and all required materials must be submitted by the deadlines posted below in order to be considered as a dual enrollment teacher for the corresponding semester. Applications received or completed after the posted deadlines will be considered for the subsequent semester.
Fall Semester: March 1
Spring Semester: December 1
Please address questions or any additional application materials to the "Associate Dean" or "Director of Dual Enrollment Programs" on the campus that most closely serves your secondary school's geographic area. Campus addresses can be found on the application form or on the CC+ Contacts page.
For general question regarding the teacher approval application process please contact Robert Callahan, Director of Dual Enrollment Programs, at 740.593.2576 or email@example.com.