History, Mission, Vision
The Ohio University Hearing, Speech, and Language Clinic opened in 1937, the same year that the institution began offering a degree program in the discipline. The original clinic was located in Wilson Hall on the historic College Green. The clinic and the speech program both moved to the Speech Building—later renamed Kantner Hall—in 1951, which was built specifically to house them. In 1974, the school and the clinic moved into Lindley Hall, where they remained until the schools of the College of Health and Human Services converged in the newly renovated Grover Center in 2001.
Ohio University Therapy Associates was founded in 1984 to provide an outlet for faculty in the newly launched physical therapy program to practice. In the decades since, it has become not only a thriving physical therapy practice engaging both faculty and graduate students, but also a premier provider of services across a region of Ohio that otherwise would not have access to them.
Statement of Purpose
OUTA is committed to providing the highest quality physical therapy, hearing, speech and language, and occupational therapy services as it strives to meet the needs of the Athens Community and surrounding counties. Through meeting this commitment, OUTA also provides clinical education opportunities for graduate students in physical therapy, speech-language pathology, and audiology. It is the goal of this organization to provide clinical education settings with the highest standards of practice.
It is our mission to ensure that clients receive appropriate and professional services without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national or ethnic origin, participation restriction, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, citizenship, status as a parent, or status as a covered veteran. The clinic complies with all applicable laws and regulations pertaining to the equal treatment of all individuals.