Political Science Minor
- Supplemental preparation for careers in law, public service, foreign service, non-profit organizations, business and education
Faculty contact: Dr. Susan Burgess
The Political Science minor, in combination with a student’s major course of study, instills a lifelong commitment to learning, which empowers students to meet their responsibilities as citizens, leaders, and professional political scientists in a democratic society and interdependent world. The minor requires certain introductory and foundational courses and then allows for course options at higher levels so that a student can experience both the range and depth of the discipline.
Careers and Graduate School
The political science minor is excellent supplemental preparation, in addition to a student's major, for a career in law, public service, foreign service, non-profit organizations, business and education.
Freshman/First-Year Admission: No requirements beyond University admission requirements.
Change of Program Policy: No selective or limited admission requirements.
External Transfer Admission: No requirements beyond University admission requirements.
Minor code OR4201
Minor Hours Requirement
The Political Science minor requires a minimum of 18 hours.
Introduction to Political Science
Complete one of the following courses:
- POLS 1010 - Politics in the United States Credit Hours: 3
- POLS 1500 - Themes in Global Politics Credit Hours: 3
- POLS 1600 - Engaging Politics Credit Hours: 3
Foundations of Political Science
Complete two of the following courses:
- POLS 2000 - American Politics, Policy, and Administration Credit Hours: 3
- POLS 2200 - The Politics of Law Credit Hours: 3
- POLS 2300 - Democracies and Dictatorships Around the World Credit Hours: 3
- POLS 2500 - International Relations Credit Hours: 3
- POLS 2700 - Introduction to Political Theory Credit Hours: 3
Examining Political Science Subfields
Complete at least three POLS courses at the 3000- or 4000-level.
- No more than one of the following courses may count: POLS 4910, 4911, or 4961.
- No more than one of the following courses may count: POLS 4900, 4901, 4902, 4903, 4904, 4905, 4931, 4932, 4933, 4934, 4935, 4941, 4942, 4943, 4944, 4945.