Search within:

Political Science Advising Resources

Advising in the Political Science Department

To have registration holds lifted, students with a Graduation Plan should meet with their success advisor at the College of Arts and Sciences Office of Undergraduate Student Affairs. Juniors and seniors without a Graduation Plan should meet with either their success advisor or their faculty mentor to have the registration hold lifted.

Faculty Mentors: All political science majors are welcome at any time of the year to meet with their faculty mentor during office hours, for general guidance on the political science curriculum or professional planning related to the major. Office hours are blocks of time faculty set aside for one-on-one meetings with students; these times are posted outside the faculty mentor’s office door. Office hours are held on a first-come, first-served basis. See the faculty directory for faculty office locations.

Your political science faculty mentor is unlikely to be able to advise you on your minor, second major, or language requirement; for questions on these, you should meet with a faculty member or advisor in the home department.

Advising in the College of Arts & Sciences

For general college requirements (e.g. distribution), go to Walk-in Wednesday at the College of Arts & Sciences Office of Undergraduate Advising & Student Affairs (first floor of Wilson Hall Administration Building on the College Green) 9 to 11 a.m. and 1 to 4 p.m.

Students should meet with an A&S adviser part way through the junior year and no later than spring of junior year to perform an initial graduation check. If they are missing requirements, they will need time to make them up during the senior year and/or spring of the junior year. CAS advisers will likely suggest that students return during the senior year for a final check.

For language requirements, speak with an adviser in the A&S Office of Undergraduate Student Affairs, or contact an adviser in the relevant language department:

  • The Modern Languages Department for French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish.
  • The Linguistics Department for Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Swahili.
  • The Classics & World Religions Department for Greek or Latin
  • American Sign Language (Contact: Becky Brooks at
  • For transfer credit, contact the College of Arts & Sciences Office of Undergraduate Student Affairs.

General Ohio University Resources

Students who are having mental health or other personal problems affecting their academic work are welcome to consult with their faculty adviser. Help is also available through Counseling and Psychological Services at Hudson Health Center. For major crises affecting completion of academic courses, students should contact the Office of the Dean of Students.

Office Locations and Contact Information

Political Science
266 Bentley Annex

College of Arts & Sciences Office of Undergraduate Advising & Student Affairs
Gordy 155

Modern Languages Department
283 Gordy Hall

Linguistics Department
383 Gordy Hall

Counseling and Psychological Services
Third floor of Hudson Health Center