Rhetoric & Composition M.A. Requirements
- Graduation Requirements
- Minimum Semester Hours
- Seminars for Rhetoric & Composition
- Thesis Requirement
8 Courses—60 Total Credit Hours
In addition to the general M.A. requirements, master?s students in Rhetoric & Composition take four seminars in Rhetoric & Composition. They also take Critical Theory I and one literary history seminar.
Seminars are 4 credit hours. The remaining hours come from professionalization courses, reading hours, and / or electives.
- ENG 5950: Introduction to English Studies
- ENG 5890: Teaching College English (required only for teaching assistants)
- Four courses in Rhetoric and Composition
- One course in Critical Theory
- One Literature course
- Master's Essay OR Master's Thesis
- ENG 7910: Professional Issue in Teaching College English (1 hour per semester; required only for teaching assistants)
- Foreign Language: Two years of coursework as an undergraduate or completion of a ML or CLAS 5220 course.
Independent Reading 5930
Finish hours with these classes. These reading hours have not been counted toward the course totals in each degree concentration, but they do count toward the total number of credit hours required per semester to maintain a teaching assistantship.
Students with teaching assistantships will complete the program with 60 hours, but the program could be completed by full-time students without teaching assistantships in 33 hours.
Optional for Literature and Rhetoric/Composition concentrations.