Giving Opportunities in the English Department
The English Department's current fundraising priorities include:
- Support for the Spring Literary Festival and the New Ohio Review magazine, heightening the status of the department while providing hands-on opportunities for our students to engage with authors and writers, and participate in research.
- Funds to support our faculty and students in research and writing.
- Support for a visiting professor
Below is a list of current funds you can support today with an online gift.
English Department General Support Fund
- Provides broad support for the department's most pressing needs.
- Ensures that the study of Shakespeare remains a vital experience for Ohio University students.
- Provides funding for the English Department to invite an important figure in literary studies to campus for a lecture and meeting with faculty and students.
- Supports activities associated with the New Ohio Review magazine.
Quarter After Eight Literary Journal Fund
- Provides support to produce the Quarter After Eight literary journal.
Undergraduate Student Support
The Hollis Summers Award in English
- Scholarship awarded to full-time undergraduate students majoring in any area within the Department of English.
Virginia Knecht Memorial Scholarship Fund
- Scholarship awarded to students majoring in English, who are residents of Athens County, Ohio.
Anthony DeJovine Memorial Scholarship Fund
- Scholarship awarded to an incoming Ohio University freshman student intending to major in English Education.
The Bernice G. Essig Scholarship in English
- Scholarship awarded to Ohio Residents majoring in English.
Dean McWilliams Memorial Scholarship
- Provides scholarship for students majoring in English.
Dean McWilliams Memorial Travel Scholarship
- Awarded to offset study abroad travel expenses for students with either a major or minor in English.
The Lillias Young Swardson Scholarship
- Scholarship awarded to students enrolled in the Honors Tutorial College, who major in English.
Joyce R. Durham Scholarship Fund
- Provides scholarships to English majors who are entering their senior year.
Dr. Joyce R. Dunham Essay Contest in Literature
- Essay contest providing an undergraduate English major with an opportunity to earn scholarship.
Maria Grover Cherrington Scholarship Fund
- Scholarship providing support to undergraduate students majoring in English.
Edgar Whan Scholarship in English
- Provides scholarships for students who are enrolled in the College of Arts & Sciences.
Graduate Student Support
The Dr. Joseph Bunn Heidler Memorial Fund
- Fund awarded to a graduate student in the Department of English as an aid to student for doing graduate research.
Susan Crowl Graduate Endowment
- Aids graduate students In the English Department by supporting travel and research expenses.
The Nancy Jones Roe and Robert T. Roe Endowment for Graduate Studies in the Department of English
- Supports activities in the English Department that directly benefit graduate students
The Earl C. and Margaret S. Shively Scholarship
- Awarded to graduate students whose major area of study is English literature.
Philip and Kathleen Emily Tice Award in Critical Writing
- Scholarship earned by an M.A or Ph.D. graduate student focusing on critical writing.
Samuel and Susan Crowl Professorship in English
- Provides professorship to tenured members of the literature facility in the Department of English.
The Stocker Professorship in Creative Writing
- Professorship recognizing an outstanding creative writing professor in the English Department.
If you have questions about giving or if you have interest in establishing a new fund, please contact:
Director of Development