A&S Faculty Service Outside of Department
The three areas of concern that we have sought to identify and clarify in the College of Arts & Sciences are:
- The relation of the stipend to annual salary
- The combined evaluation of service carried on outside and inside the department
- Possible trade-offs among teaching, research, and service
Stipend and Annual Salary
The stipend is compensation for summer activity and extra activity during the academic year beyond the normal level of service work.
Evaluation of Service
- Two separate service ratings are used, one for the proportion of the service activity carried on outside the department, and a second for the proportion of the service activity carried on in the department.
- A single service rating is obtained by combining the weighted evaluations for outside and inside the department.
- Evaluators of service activity carried on outside the department should provide a written assessment of performance rather than a number on a scale of 0-10.
Trade-Offs Among Teaching, Research, and Service
- Teaching may be negotiated down to 20 percent from the original 40 percent.
- Research may be negotiated down to 20 percent from the original 40 percent.
- Service may be negotiated up to a maximum of 40 percent of which a minimum of 10 percent of the 40 percent remains in the department.