International Women's Exhibit
Save the Date: March 26, 2019, Baker Ballroom
Call for Art
The International Women’s Art Installation at Ohio University
The Women's Center and Office of Global Affairs invite you to help us create an immersive installation of women's experiences around the world to celebrate, and advocate for, women's lives around the world. Shown in Baker Ballroom on March 26, 2019, we hope this installation creates an environment of inclusion but also provides an opportunity for International students to offer the narrative of what is shared about their countries.
The purpose of International Women’s day is to globally celebrate the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women, as well as to work towards equality in areas that are still inequitable. With this in mind, we request submissions on the following themes:
- Women leaders and role models (famous or not)
- Violence against women
- Women in protest movements
- Representations of girlhood around the world
- The intersection of gender with LGBTQ and racial/ethnic identities
- Women’s health, including menstruation, maternal health, cancer, health inequities, women and disability
- Say Her Name
- Women in the workplace
- Women in the media, including literary, film, television, and music references and representations
- Women and poverty
- Women and war
- Women and immigration
- Success stories of women’s rights achieved, or moments that capture resiliency
We hope that the exhibit is diversified in the mediums used by artists. Please be mindful that submissions should be lightweight so that it can be hung using fishing line on pipe and drape, or that it is freestanding. Freestanding submissions may be placed on the floor, a high-top table, or displayed on an easel. You may choose to submit audio, written pieces (stitched into fabric, painted on canvas, or submitted on paper), paintings, textile, video, photography, projections, pottery, sculpture, and other mediums that we can display.
To be considered for the exhibit, you must submit the following information to the Women’s Center at firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, January 25, 2019. Submissions will be considered on a rolling basis, so please submit earlier where possible.
- Name, affiliation to Ohio University (if you have one – this is not required), and contact information for follow-up questions and discussion
- A short biography
- 250-500 word description of your submission (including the medium you use)
- Detailed information about how you believe we should display your work
- The estimated dimensions of your submission, so that we may consider the space required
Cosponsors include: the Women's Center, Office of Global Affairs, International Student Union, Intersectional Feminist Alliance, the Multicultural Center, Black Student Cultural Programming Board, and Survivor Advocacy Program!
For questions, please call the Women’s Center at (740)593-9625 or email at email@example.com.