TAS 4440 PBC
TAS 4440—Collaboration in the Workplace
Three Semester Hours
University Requisite: None
This course explores the advantages and disadvantages of collaboration and teamwork, particularly in the workplace. It examines the elements that comprise effective collaborations and encourages students to recognize their strengths and weaknesses in a given situation.
Methods of Course Instruction
All material for this course is print-based. Instructor and students communicate and exchange materials through postal mail.
In this course, an option exists to use e-mail to submit your lesson assignments. Your assignment will be returned to you either as an e-mail attachment or as a hard copy sent through the postal mail, depending on the preferences of the instructor and/or program.
Textbooks and Supplies
- Lencioni, P. (2002). The Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Leadership Fable. Jossey Bass:: San Francisco. [ISBN: 9780787960759]
- Gordon, C. and Franco, L. (Producers). Johnston, J. (Director). (2004). October Sky [Motion Picture]. USA: Universal Studios.
Hickam, H. (1998). Rocket Boys. Dell Publishing: New York. [ISBN: 9780385333214]
- Yakin, B. (Director). (2000). Remember the Titans [Motion Picture]. USA: Walt Disney Pictures.
Note: There is an alternative assignment if you are unable to view the Remember the Titans movie.
Number of Lessons
The course has six lessons. These lessons include:
- Lesson 1: Group Dynamics in Action
- Lesson 2: Reflection on Text
- Lesson 3: Dysfunctions in Action
- Lesson 4: Group Observation
- Lesson 5: Advantages/Disadvantages Graphic
- Lesson 6: Video on Teamwork
Types of Writing Assignments
To do the writing assignments well, you need first to complete the reading assignments and have a good understanding of all new concepts, definitions, etc.
Handwritten assignments are acceptable for some assignments, but the preferred method is a typed assignment, double-spaced using 12-point font and one-inch margins. As with all assignments, good grammar and standard written English are essential.
Your final grade will be determined by your grades on the submitted assignments
- Lesson 1: Group Dynamics in Action — 100 points
- Lesson 2: Reflection on Text — 200 points
- Lesson 3: Dysfunctions in Action — 100 points
- Lesson 4: Group Observation — 200 points
- Lesson 5: Advantages/Disadvantages Graphic — 200 points
- Lesson 6: Video on Teamwork — 200 points
- Total — 1,000 points
Note: Lessons 1, 3, and 6 have alternative assignments for those without access to technology.