Spotlight on She Leads OHIO Alumnae
This program helped me develop strategies for a more successful future after I graduate from Ohio University. All of the programs have [...] inspired me to be more involved in public service, given me perspective through a gendered lens, and allowed me to have a unique experience that has positively impacted my life and the direction of my career.
Through She Leads Ohio, I have gained confidence and communication skills to stand up for myself and others. Whether it is in my job, my classes, or social life, I have taken a stand and embraced my identity as a woman in engineering.
To learn more about other She Leads OHIO Alumnae please visit this link.
She Leads OHIO is a professional development and leadership program, which takes into consideration the particular hurdles that women face in the workforce. Students who complete all aspects of She Leads OHIO will receive a certificate of completion after completing this form. You can also apply to complete our mentorship track with She Leads OHIO by applying to participate in our Women's Mentoring Program. To find out when Women's Center programs that count towards She Leads OHIO are scheduled, please visit the calendar page of our website.
Women have made major strides towards equality in the workplace, yet women still face: lack of access to mentorship, a salary gaps, harassment, and underappreciated leadership styles. Women’s opportunities are not just shaped by gender stereotypes, but are also influenced by unconscious bias, racism, homophobia, transphobia, classism, nationality, dis/ability, etc.
Whether you identify as female or not, we encourage you to complete She Leads OHIO. These issues don’t just affect women. They impact the lives of all of us – as friends, family members, colleagues and supervisors. In order for gender equity to occur, each and every one of us must be involved in understanding and addressing gender inequality.
The following are required components of She Leads OHIO, and will also be marked on advertising with the She Leads OHIO logo:
- COVID-19 Response: For the 2020-2021 academic year, Running Start's Elect Her will be replaced with "Future President" (see Women's Center calendar of events for more information) and the Women in Graduate School Day Conference will be replaced by the ACE Women's Network Ohio conference. Prior to COVID-19: Running Start's Elect Her OR The Women in Graduate School Day Conference. Elect Her is offered annually in the fall semester; this 4.5-hour training covers skills such as how to mobilize a constituency, how to craft a message, and how to speak confidently and present oneself as a candidate. Through Elect Her, we encourage women to run for student government; however, this program delves into transferable skills that can be used in any professional situation. The Women in Graduate School Day Conference is offered once a year in the Spring semester and is an all-day conference that focuses on personal and professional development for those interested in graduate school or currently in graduate school. Participants are required to attend the full program of either in order to count towards completion of She Leads OHIO..
- Start Smart, an AAUW licensed two-hour workshop assists participants in initial salary negotiation, and is offered regularly through the Women's Center with the support of the Career and Leadership Development Center and the Graduate College.
- Stay out of your own way: How gender stereotypes threaten our success. This one-hour workshop will help participants examine the language that they use to communicate their confidence level. We will highlight the ways in which women have traditionally been socialized to undersell their skills, and develop new ways of speaking about ourselves.
- Intercultural knowledge programming. An important aspect of professional development is understanding how to work within, appreciate, and respect a variety of differences. Programs that count towards this component of She Leads OHIO will be marked with the She Leads OHIO logo in advertising and will address issues of gender, race, ethnicity, culture, sexuality, nationality, dis/ability, and/or economic standing.
The Women's Center strongly encourages that She Leads OHIO participants take advantage of all Career & Leadership Development Center programming. She Leads OHIO participants are required to complete the following:
- Leadership Coaching (three, 30-minute sessions over three weeks) with a CLDC leadership coach. Leadership coaching helps build key leadership and professionalism skills through a process of self-reflection and intentional goal setting.
- A mock interview (30 minutes) with a CLDC career coach. Mock interviews offer the opportunity to practice for an internship or job interview by learning to express skills and quali?cations to employers.
To schedule these services, stop by the CLDC on the 5th floor of Baker Center or call 740-593-2909.