ALAANA+ Women's Leadership Cohort
2020-2021 ALAANA+ Women's Leadership Cohort (AWLC)
Interested in the AWLC or know someone who might be?
Applications for our 2020-2021 cohort have been extended and are now open until September 25 at 11:59PM.
The ALAANA+ Women's Leadership Cohort (AWLC) is a new initiative through the Ohio University Women’s Center which launched in the 2019-2020 academic year. ALAANA+, in this context, stands for African American/African/Black, Latina/Latinx, Asian American/Asian, Arab/Middle Eastern, Native American, and all multicultural folks. The 2020-2021 ALAANA+ Women's Leadership Cohort will meet weekly on Wednesdays from 6:00 P.M. to 7:30 P.M, beginning October 7, 2020. Interested in learning more?
This cohort leadership opportunity is geared towards first- and second-year multicultural women, but open to anyone who feels a program of this nature would align with their professional development and goals, providing them with a community of between 15-25 others to:
Discover and explore your leadership!
Find support when starting a new school!
Build skills that help you succeed!
And have fun with a group of incredible people!
AWLC will feature the following sessions and/or topics:
- "Define your Leadership Style & Goal Setting"
- Identify, challenge, and manage barriers to women of color’s full participation in leadership
- "Fighting with your roommate/parent/best friend?: Conflict Mediation and Effective Communication"
- "Situating Self: Exploring Identities and Bolstering Resiliency in Unfair Systems"
- Multicultural Alumnae Mixer
- "I Know How to Love Me: Exploring Healthy and Unhealthy Romantic and Sexual Relationships"
- "Future President: How to Become Involved with Student Leadership on Campus"
- Discovering the Hidden Curriculum of Undergraduate Education: Efficient and Effective Communication
- "Stress Management, Wellness, and Self-Care"
- Graduation Celebration for participants and one guest who has supported them over the past year
- And more!
Skills that AWLC participants will cultivate over the course of the academic year through participation in the program include: networking, conflict-resolution, public speaking and sharing within a group, reflection strategies, resource cultivation, and self-advocacy. The Cohort is focused on creating community while simultaneously offering individualized personal and professional development meant to empower women become connected to the OHIO campus community and its plethora of resources and experiences. Everyone regardless of gender is welcome and encouraged to apply.