Diversity Opportunity Hire Fund
**We have successfully awarded 8 Opportunity Hires for FY20. Due to this success, we are no longer accepting applications for FY20. The process will reopen on March 1, 2020, for FY21 Diversity Opportunity Hire applications.**
Ohio University strives to develop a climate that represents and embraces different cultures. This enhances the institution’s ability to provide its students with relevant experiences to successfully compete and achieve in an increasingly diverse and complex society. To bring about this climate, Ohio University provides support through the Diversity Opportunity Hire Fund to employ highly qualified individuals who make unique contributions to the University and its community. Such individuals specifically include those who bring a unique or different perspective because of their personal or professional backgrounds, interests or expertise.
The Opportunity Hire funds are best situated for colleges and departments that do not have a funded faculty and/or administrative line but have identified a highly qualified individual who adds some measure of diversity in their college or department. The new position must fit within the area’s strategic plan for growth or to replace lost capacity. These funds serve only as a bridge to permanent funding; therefore, the hiring authority must be able to demonstrate how the position will be funded fully within two years.
This fund is not specifically intended to support individuals in the Dual Career Network (DCN); however, positions are occasionally funded for spouses/partners as long as hiring is in line with the funding guidelines. University Human Resources (UHR) maintains a Dual Career Network, designed to help partners of new employees in networking and locating employment opportunities in the Athens area. If interested in the DCN opportunity, please visit UHR’s site at: Dual Career Network
Funding will be provided at 75% of the combined salary and benefits, up to $75,000 for year one and 50% of the combined salary and benefits, up to $50,000 for year two.
Funds may also be used to support a one-year position, such as a Teaching Fellow or a Visiting Professor, as long as the hire is in line with the Diversity Opportunity Hire guidelines. If individuals supported through the Diversity Opportunity Hire fund leave the University or transfer to another position within the University, all future Diversity Opportunity funds committed will revert back to the funding pool.
Funding Guidelines and Criteria for Evaluating Funding Requests
- Rationale statement from college or department as to how the applicant’s contributions align with the Opportunity Hire Policy, specifically include why this applicant brings a unique or different perspective because of their personal or professional backgrounds, interests or expertise
- Rationale statement from college or department as to how the position will fit within the area’s strategic plan for growth
- Thorough justification plan from college/department as to how the position will be fully funded within two to three years
- Qualifications of proposed applicant (resume or curriculum vita)
- Position description and Compensation results (Classified or Administrative)
- Teaching, Research and Service Requirements (Faculty)
- Letter of recommendation and support from the dean for faculty hiring or the department head for all other hiring requests.
*Note: All above documents are required to be uploaded in PDF format at time of submission. In addition, you will need the applicants name, proposed salary and benefit information for submission. Any request without all required materials will not be considered for review.
Once request and additional materials have been submitted, materials will be reviewed by the Diversity Opportunity Hire committee, in which the committee has two weeks to approve or deny each request in writing.