The School of Applied Health Sciences and Wellness Honors Program provides opportunities for involvement in independent scholarly work, one-on-one interaction with faculty, and an in-depth study of a single area of applied health sciences and wellness. Throughout the Honors Program, students work under the guidance of a faculty honors adviser to plan and complete scholarly projects. Students complete an honors course sequence (NUTR 4902H, 4945H, 4946H, and 4947H - only one of these courses has a specific meeting time, the rest are in an independent study format) and a Research Methods course during which a project is designed, executed, and reported in writing. Projects may consist of research, development of educational materials, in-depth papers, or other original works approved by the honors adviser. Those students who successfully complete their honors projects receive special designation on their diplomas.
Students have several advantages as a result of being eligible for and participating in the Honors Program. Each student will:
- Gain experience in critically exploring an area of academic interest under the direct guidance of an experienced scholar.
- Be better prepared for further graduate or professional study in specific academic fields and postgraduate work in general.
- Ability to take graduate-level classes with permission.
- Graduate with special distinction
To be eligible for the Honors Program, students must:
- Be a declared major in the School of Applied Health Sciences and Wellness.
- Have a cumulative overall grade point average (GPA) no lower than a 3.3 before applying.
- Have completed 60 semester-equivalent credit hours prior to the beginning of the fall semester for which they apply.
- Have at least one academic year of study remaining at the time of application to the program.
- Identify and receive approval from an Honors Adviser prior to entrance into the program.
- Be willing to devote the time and energy needed for a more demanding and challenging curriculum.
- Make sure you meet all the eligibility requirements listed above.
- Meet with faculty in our school to see what types of honors projects they may be willing to oversee.
- Fill out and submit the honors application by the first Friday of December.