Jennifer L. Steele
Ph.D., University of Akron
Research & Specializations
- Alcohol & Other Drug Use
- Criminological theory
- Quantitative Research Methods
- Interpersonal Violence
- SOC 1000 Introduction to Sociology
- SOC 2000 Social Problems
- SOC 2600 Criminal Justice
- SOC 2610 Deviant Behavior
- SOC 3500 Elementary Research Techniques
- SOC 3600 Criminology
- SOC 4710 Gender & Justice
Steele, Jennifer L. 2019. An Active Learning approach to Teaching Undergraduates about Deviant/Criminal Groups. American Sociological Association Teaching Resources and Innovations Library for Sociology (TRAILS).
Steele, Jennifer L., & Peralta, Robert. 2017. Are polydrug users more physically and verbally aggressive? An assessment of aggression among Mono vs. Polydrug users in an university sample. Journal of Interpersonal Violence.
Steele, Jennifer L. 2016. Race and general strain theory: Examining the impact of racial discrimination and fear on adolescent marijuana and alcohol use. Substance Use and Misuse, 51 (12), 1637-1648.
Peralta, Robert L., Steward, Breanna C., Steele, Jennifer L., & Wagner, Fernando A. 2016. Non-medical use of prescription drugs in emerging adulthood: Differentiating sex from gender. Addiction Research and Theory, 24 (5), 389-397.
Steele, Jennifer L., Peralta, Robert L., & Cheryl Elman. 2011. The co- ingestion of nonmedical prescription drugs and alcohol: A partial test of social learning theory. Journal of Drug Issues, 41(4), 561-585.
Peralta, Robert, Callanan, Valerie J., Steele, Jennifer L., & Lia Chervenak. 2011. The effects of gender identity and heavy episodic drinking on alcohol-related violence. Gender Issues, 28(3), 111-133.
Peralta, Robert L., Steele, Jennifer L., Nofziger, Stacey, & Michael Rickles. 2010. The impact of gender on binge drinking behavior among U.S. college students attending a midwestern university: An analysis of two separate gender measures. Feminist Criminology, 4, 355-379.
Peralta, Robert L., & Jennifer L. Steele. 2010. Non-medical prescription drug use among college students at a Midwest university: A partial test of social learning theory. Substance Use and Misuse, 45 (6), 865-887.
Peralta, Robert L, Lori Tuttle, & Jennifer L. Steele. 2010. At the intersection of masculinity, alcohol use and violent behavior: The experiences of heterosexual male perpetrators of intimate partner violence. Violence Against Women, 16:4, 387- 409.
Peralta, Robert L., & Jennifer L. Steele. 2009. On drinking styles and race: A Consideration of the socio-structural determinants of alcohol use behavior. Journal of Ethnicity in Substance Abuse, 8 (2),146-162.
In the News
- Psychology & Sociology-Criminology Alum is 'Drug Court' Case Manager
- 2016 Spring Press: Akron Beacon Journal Story on research published in Addiction Research and Theory
- 2015 Spring Press Coverage of: Robert L. Peralta, Valerie J. Callanan, Jennifer L. Steele, and Lia Chervenak Wiley. 2011. “The Effects of Gender Identity and Heavy Episodic Drinking on Alcohol-Related Violence.” Gender Issues 28(3): 111-133 (Lead Article) (Funded by The University of Akron, FRG 1667) on DatingAdvice.com (DatingAdvice.com).