Physics & Astronomy Giving Opportunities
Please consider designating the Department of Physics & Astronomy in your gift to Ohio University. Through the power of charitable giving, the department is enriched in a variety of ways, including student scholarships, books, travel funds for students, support of student research, and paying the expenses of visiting speakers. In this list, the greatest need is for undergraduate major scholarships. Our major endowment funds include:
- Breitenberger/Wright Graduate Endowment—A new fund to support graduate education initiated by gifts from Professors Ernst Breitenberger and Louis Wright.
- John Edwards Scholarship Fund—Distinguished Professor John Edwards left a bequest of approximately $300,000 to endow this scholarship fund. The Scholarships are given to majors who have financial need and have demonstrated some initial success at Ohio University.
- Robert Gescy Scholarship Fund—Endowed by Jeanette Grasselli-Brown in memory of her brother who was a physics student.
- Darrell Huwe Scholarship Fund—Endowed by family and friends in memory of Professor Darrell Huwe. The scholarship is preferentially given to students from a rural background with financial need.
- James Shipman Scholarship Fund—This fund was initiated by Professor Jim Shipman and Will Konneker '47MS in the 1970s and has been supplemented greatly since then by Jim Shipman using money generated from his very successful physical science textbook. It provides the department's primary support for incoming freshman majors.
- Abhishek Singh Scholarship Endowment—This endowment has been launched with gifts from faculty, staff and students of the department along with contributions from friends of Abhishek to honor his memory.
- Mark Grimes Memorial Fund—Created to honor Mark Grimes and his interest in the undergraduate physics program. The purpose is to provide enrichment of the undergraduate experience of physics majors.
- Edward R. Sanford Astronomy Fund—Created to honor Professor Sanford, the income from this endowed fund is used in support of the astronomy program in the department.
- Department of Physics and Astronomy Fund—A general endowed fund with major contributions from Professors Wright and Rollins.
For information about giving to the Physics & Astronomy Department, contact: