Physics & Astronomy Giving Opportunities
Thank you for considering a gift to the Physics & Astronomy Department. The department is truly enriched by your support, which can provide things like scholarships, books, travel funds, research support, and visiting speakers. Our greatest need is for undergraduate scholarships, but we welcome gifts to support any area.
Below is a list of current funds you can support today with an online gift.
Physics & Astronomy
- Flexible support for the department’s most pressing needs that can be used right away
Physics and Astronomy Endowment Fund
- An endowed fund that supports the department’s most pressing needs with sustainable, long-term funding, this fund was established by professors Wright and Rollins.
Breitenberger/Wright Graduate Endowment Fund
- Providing support for unusual expenses for graduate students like emergency funds, travel funds, special appointments, awards, etc., this was established by Professors Ernst Breitenberger and Louis Wright.
Mark H. Grimes Memorial Fund
- Designed to enrich the undergraduate experience of physics majors.
Edward R. Sanford Astronomy Fund
- Created to honor Professor Sanford, this fund provides general support for the Astronomy program.
John E. Edwards Ohio University Fellowship Endowment
Supports students with financial need and encourages scientific research. Established with a bequest from Distinguisher Professor John Edwards.
The James T. Shipman Physics Scholarship Fund
- This fund was initiated by Professor Jim Shipman and Will Konneker '47 M.S. and provides the department’s primary support for incoming first year students.
The Robert P. Gecsy Physics Scholarship
- Endowed scholarship from Dr. Jeanette Grasselli-Brown in memory of her brother who was a physics student.
Abhishek Singh Scholarship
- Undergraduate scholarship in memory of Abhishek Singh.
Darrell Otto Huwe Scholarship
- Endowed by family and friends in memory of Professor Darrell Huwe, the scholarship is preferentially given to students from a rural background with financial need.
Ying-Chien Chang Graduate Scholarship in the Department of Physics and Astronomy
- Scholarship for graduate students within the department
The John E. Edwards Endowment
- Supports undergraduate research at the Edwards Accelerator Laboratory.
Distinguished Professor J. Rapaport Endowment for the Institute of Nuclear and Particle Physics
- Provides general support for the Institute of Nuclear and Particle Physics.
Nanoscale and Quantum Phenomena Institute Support Fund
- Supports the work of the Nanoscale and Quantum Phenomena Institute (NQPI).
If you have questions about giving or if you have interest in establishing a new fund to support the department, please contact:
Senior Director of Development