A&S Outstanding Staff Award
Eligible Nominees: All full- or part-time staff members (classified or administrative) in the College of Arts & Sciences are eligible for this award. A staff member may receive the Outstanding Staff Award more than once, but when an individual does receive the award, an interval of four years (including the year of the award) must pass before that person is eligible to receive the award again.
Criteria for Award Selection by College of Arts and Sciences Awards Committee
Selection of award winners will be based on any or all of the following criteria:
- Exemplary level of competence in carrying out day-to-day job performance, including superior efforts to develop and refine job skills.
- Innovative thinking with regard to problem solving and finding new and better ways to meet college needs.
- Exemplary communication. Does the nominee engage in polite, helpful, and productive communication with contacts (e.g. students, staff, faculty, and members of the general public)?
- Professional Development. Has there been significant new advancement of skills and/or qualifications?
- Significant one-time effort. Did the nominee complete major task or take on a new leadership role in the past year (e.g. quarter-to-semester conversion efforts)?
- Professional Recognition. Has there been short-term achievement or long-term activity that has led to local, regional, state or national recognition for professional activities?
- Professional Outreach. Does the nominee engage in activities above and/or outside their normal responsibilities that share knowledge or expertise with university employees and/or members of the community at large?
- Advising. Does the nominee serve as an outstanding advisor?
Nominations will be considered for one Outstanding Staff Award each year. No specific limit is placed on the number of nominees from one department or program. Nominations should come from:
- Departments or programs, via an appropriate committee (e.g., evaluation, curriculum, promotion and tenure, advisory, or executive); or
- Any fulltime faculty or staff member. (Self-nominations are not acceptable.) Nominators and nominees need not be from the same department.
Nominations should use relevant criteria listed above to describe, in up to three pages, why the nominee is a top performer who is deserving of a college-wide award. Supporting material, if included, should be no more than ten pages. Nominations and supporting material should be sent in pdf format to Erin Thompson by March 30.
Department chairs and program directors are encouraged to cooperate with any faculty or staff member seeking evidence in support of a nomination. In addition, chairs and directors are encouraged to coordinate the nomination of a staff member who is nominated by two or more colleagues, in order to reduce the possibility of duplicate nominations being sent to the Awards Committee.
Award Selection and Recognition
Selections will be made by the Arts & Sciences Awards Committee during Spring Semester, and the awards will be announced at the college Faculty and Staff Welcome Celebration in the Fall Semester of the next academic year. The award recipient will receive a certificate and financial award in recognition of their accomplishments.