Because the School of Dance considers artistic talent in the review process, you must audition for consideration to the program. Your audition for admission also serves as your audition for talent-based scholarships. The School of Dance is committed to safety in these uncertain times and will offer a fully virtual audition process for students applying for fall 2021.
The audition provides the dancer with an opportunity to demonstrate their talent, level of training, and aptitude for further study in dance. Auditionees are not expected to demonstrate proficiency in all techniques. The audition committee evaluates technical proficiency, physical strength and flexibility, spatial and rhythmic accuracy, and performance quality.
In lieu of in person auditions, applicants should submit the the following videos to audition for a dance major or minor.
- All auditionees are required to learn the specific movement phrase taught and prompted by School of Dance faculty. Record yourself doing the phrase and upload the video.
- Creativity is emphasized in the School of Dance. Auditionees are required to submit an improvisation video that explores the following prompt. Your video should demonstrate the use of imagination, being, the moment, and not having prepared material for this creative prompt. Your video should not exceed 1 minute. Prompt:
- Make up 4 unusual shapes with your body--they can be standing, lying down, or sitting.
- Decide on a simple pathway to follow.
- Plot out where each shape will be on the pathway.
- Make movement that connects one shape to the other along the pathway.
- Use different speeds in connecting this movement.
- Video should demonstrate use of imagination, being in the moment, and not having prepared material for this creative prompt.
We recognize and value that students have different dance backgrounds, training experiences, and interests. You may submit additional, optional, materials to support your application:
- You may submit up to 2 additional videos
- Videos must not exceed 1 minute each
- Examples of submissions include an excerpt from a recent performance, a combination or phrase of movement from another genre (e.g. African, jazz, ballet, hip-hop, folk dance)
You'll need your OHIO email address and password to submit your videos. If you haven't already activated your OHIO ID and campus email address, more information can be found on the admitted student web page.