Because the School of Dance considers artistic talent in the review process, you must audition for consideration to the program. Your audition for admission also serves as your audition for talent-based scholarships.
On-campus dance audition dates can be found below. Students are strongly encouraged to participate in an on-campus audition, but students who are unable to participate in-person may choose to submit a video audition instead.
- Experience the Arts Day, November 1, 2021 | Register now!
- School Dance Open House & Auditions, November 19-20 | Register now!*
- School of Dance Open House & Auditions, January 14-15 | Register now!*
*To register for a School of Dance Open House & Audition Day, you must first apply to OHIO and then use your OHIO email address to log in and access the registration page. Visit our Application Status web page for instructions to activate your OHIO ID. For questions, please contact Undergraduate Admissions at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 740.593.4100.
Experience the Arts Day
November 1, 2021
Experience the Arts Day is an on-campus event hosted by the College of Fine Arts. Participants will spending the day exploring the College of Fine Arts and connecting with other artists. There will be opportunities to sit in on classes, watch rehearsals, attend workshops, and connect with faculty and current students. If you are interested in participating in a dance audition when you register for Experience the Arts Day, please indicate so when prompted on the registration form.
School of Dance Open House & Auditions
November 19-20 & January 14-15
Each School of Dance audition day takes place on a Saturday, and is preceded by an optional open house on Friday. During the open house, students and families will have opportunities to tour the dance building, participate in classes, observe dance concerts, and learn important information.
The audition provides the dancer with an opportunity to demonstrate their talent, level of training, and aptitude for further study in dance. Auditionees are not expected to demonstrate proficiency in all techniques. The audition committee evaluates technical proficiency, physical strength and flexibility, spatial and rhythmic accuracy, and performance quality.
On-campus Auditions (preferred)
The audition class includes modern, ballet, jazz or African portions, and improvisation. Each of these provides the dancer with an opportunity to demonstrate their talent, level of training, and aptitude for further study in dance. Auditionees are not expected to demonstrate proficiency in all techniques. The audition committee evaluates technical proficiency, physical strength and flexibility, spatial and rhythmic accuracy, and performance quality. Dancers should be prepared to take class in dancewear that allows freedom of movement. You will need to dance barefoot for the modern portion of the audition class and may bring ballet slippers or jazz shoes to wear for the ballet and jazz portions of class.
Students who are unable to participate in an on-campus audition should submit the following videos.
- All auditionees are required to learn the specific movement phrase taught and prompted by School of Dance faculty. Record yourself doing the phrase and upload the video.
- Creativity is emphasized in the School of Dance. Auditionees are required to submit an improvisation video that explores the following prompt. Your video should demonstrate the use of imagination, being, the moment, and not having prepared material for this creative prompt. Your video should not exceed 1 minute. Prompt:
- Make up 4 unusual shapes with your body--they can be standing, lying down, or sitting.
- Decide on a simple pathway to follow.
- Plot out where each shape will be on the pathway.
- Make movement that connects one shape to the other along the pathway.
- Use different speeds in connecting this movement.
- Video should demonstrate use of imagination, being in the moment, and not having prepared material for this creative prompt.
We recognize and value that students have different dance backgrounds, training experiences, and interests. You may submit additional, optional, materials to support your application:
- You may submit up to 2 additional videos.
- Videos must not exceed 1 minute each.
- Examples of submissions include an excerpt from a recent performance, a combination or phrase of movement from another genre (e.g. African, jazz, ballet, hip-hop, folk dance).
*To submit your audition video, you must first apply to OHIO and then use your OHIO ID to log in to access the submission form. Visit our Application Status web page for instructions to activate your OHIO ID. For questions, please contact Undergraduate Admissions at email@example.com or 740.593.4100.