The Fall 2019/Annual Waiver Application deadline was 9/13/19 and is no longer available.
The next available Waiver Application period will be for the Spring/Summer 2020 coverage period.
(See below for details.)
Automatic Assessment of Health Insurance Charge
Domestic students registered for (5) five or more Athens credit hours, and International students registered for (1) one or more Athens credit hours, (including Athens online classes, Dublin and Cleveland HCOM classes; excludes eCampus classes) will be charged for the Ohio University Student Health Insurance Plan. The fee will be charged to the student account at the same point that tuition and fees are assessed for the given term.
Health Insurance Online Waiver Application
Students may apply to waive the Student Health Insurance Policy if they have an existing health insurance policy that meets the waiver criteria (criteria listed below). Students must provide proof of their existing insurance through the online waiver application prior to the posted waiver deadline .
Waiver Application Audit Information
- An audit and verification process will be completed by an independent third party, ECI Services, to ensure the health insurance plan submitted by the student is active and in force, and meets the requirements for a waiver.
- By submitting the waiver application, the student agrees that their current health insurance company may be contacted for confirmation of coverage.
- The information submitted on the Student Health Insurance waiver is not shared with other University departments. Therefore, health insurance information will still need to be submitted to the appropriate departments to fulfill various requirements. (IE: Athletics, Campus Care, Housing, etc.)
*Approval of the online waiver Fall Semester will waive the Student Health Insurance Policy for Fall, Spring, and Summer Semesters of the same academic year.
*Approval of the online waiver Spring Semester will waive the Student Health Insurance policy for Spring and Summer Semesters of the same academic year.
*Approval of the online waiver Summer Semester will waive the Student Health Insurance policy only for Summer Semester. A new policy year will begin Fall Semester.
- The University does not profit from students purchasing the Student Health Insurance Plan.
- The University strongly advises students to review the 'Waiver Criteria' prior to purchasing an alternate policy with the intent to waive the University Student Health Insurance.
- The Student Health Insurance Plan provides superior coverage through a national commercial carrier, United HealthCare Student Resources.
- The current plan provides low out of pocket expenses, such as reduced copays, very low annual deductible amounts, and low out of pocket maximums.
- Care received at the Student Health Center/Campus Care is not subject to the policy Annual Deductible or Coinsurance, and has reduced copay amounts for Office Visits, Radiology and Laboratory services.
- Prescriptions obtained at The Drug Store @ OU (located inside Campus Care) with the Student Health Insurance recieve $10.00 off the regular copay amounts.
- Many of the individual health insurance plans available for purchase through the State Exchange/Marketplace on https://www.healthcare.gov/ have limited providers available in the Athens, Ohio area.
- The Marketplace policies provided by Molina, Aetna, and Anthem are Out of Network with many of the medical facilities and providers in the Athens, Ohio area, including the local Hospital, closest Urgent Care, and Student Health Center.
- Out of Network providers are paid less, or not at all, by the insurance company. This results in larger amounts owed to the provider by the patient.
- The Marketplace Medical Mutual OhioHealth policies available for purchase on https://www.healthcare.gov/ have In-Network medical facilities and providers in the Athens, Ohio area, including the local Hospital, closest Urgent Care, and Student Health Center.
- In Network/preferred providers are paid more by the insurance company. This results in lower amounts owed to the provider by the patient.
- In most cases, policies available for purchase from an off shore or online company do not meet the waiver criteria for a University health insurance Waiver.
- It is important to review all aspects of an alternative policy quote very carefully prior to purchasing it. The alternate policy must be active and meet the required waiver criteria for a waiver application to be approved .
Students are eligible to apply for a Waiver of the Student Health Insurance if their alternate health insurance plan (as the primary policy holder or as a benefits eligible dependent) is compliant with the U.S. Affordable Care Act (ACA), the U.S. Department of State, the State of Ohio, and Ohio University.
The following categories have policy options that most often meet these requirements:
- Plan is a U.S. Employer Group Health plan
- Plan is a U.S. Marketplace plan purchased on https://www.healthcare.gov/
- Plan is a U.S. Government sponsored plan
- Plan is a U.S. Medicaid plan
*International students are required to have coverage for Emergency Medical Evacuation & Repatriation.
(See below for details)
A plan that is purchased privately, or provided by a sponsor, must meet all of the following criteria:
- Plan has unlimited medical benefits for all services
- Plan has an individual annual deductible of $500 USD maximum or less
- Plan has a minimum payment of 75% coinsurance for inpatient or outpatient emergency, urgent care, or routine treatment for: medical care, mental health care, prescription drugs, immunizations, screening tests, and preventive care as required by the U.S. Government for individual health plans
- Plan includes coverage for pre-existing conditions with no waiting period; suicide/attempted suicide; self-inflicted injury; pregnancy/pregnancy related treatments; sexually transmitted diseases/infections, HIV/Immune deficiency disorders; cancer; alcohol/drug related conditions; recreational activities injuries.
- Plan is filed and approved by an insurance company with the Ohio Division of Insurance with a U.S. claims payment office and a U.S. phone number.
- Plan is underwritten by an insurance company having an A.M. Best rating of A- or above
- Plan is effective for a minimum of the duration of the current academic year
*International Students must also have coverage for the following:
- Benefits for Medical Evacuation in the amount of no less than $50,000 USD
- Benefits for Repatriation in the amount of no less than $25,000 USD
*International students that are enrolled in a Plan that meets all of the criteria listed above with the exception of benefits for Medical Evacuation and Repatriation, will have the option to purchase a supplemental plan for the required coverage to be used in conjunction with their current health care plan.
A supplemental plan for Medical Evacuation and Repatriation coverage is available for purchase directly from the American College Student Association (ACSA) on their website. The premium for the 2019/20 academic year (or 12 months) is approximately $90.00.
After students purchase the supplemental coverage, they will receive proof of enrollment from ACSA. Students can then resubmit the waiver application and upload the proof of enrollment for the supplemental plan and submit it with their health insurance plan waiver.
Questions about waiving the Student Health Insurance can be directed to ECI Services on behalf of Ohio University at 833-249-0577 or via e-mail at Ohio.email@example.com.
Questions about the University Student Health Insurance Policy benefits can be directed to Ohio University Student Health Insurance via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or, United HealthCare Student Resources at 1.800.767.0700. ( www.uhcsr.com/Ohio )
Instructions: Online Waiver Application
*The online waiver becomes available in the MyOHIO Student Center once the student account has been charged for the student health insurance for the current semester.
To waive the Ohio University Student Health Insurance:
- Log in to My OHIO Student Center
- In the Finances section, select “Waive Stdnt Health Insurance”
- Follow the instructions to complete the waiver
- Submit the waiver application
- Wait for the submission confirmation page to appear and print it for your records
- Waiver information is then submitted to ECI Services to verify the policy
- The student will receive emails to their Ohio.edu email address from ECI Services from the email address Ohio@elev834.com with further instructions (if required) if they need more information to verify coverage under another insurance plan, as well as if the waiver is approved or denied
- If the waiver application is approved, ECI Services will notify the University to remove the charge for the Student Health Insurance from the student account. (*Please note, the waiver process can take up to 7-10 business days to complete)
- Review your Student Account to verify the charge has been removed approximately 24-48 hours after receiving an approved waiver notification from ECI Services sent to the student's Ohio.edu email address.
If you have questions regarding the location of the waiver application, or about filling out the form, please email Bursar@ohio.edu or call 740.593.4130.
Questions regarding the Student Health Insurance Waiver Criteria, or a Waiver Application that has already been submitted, please contact ECI Services on behalf of the University at Ohio.email@example.com, or by phone at 833.249.0577.
2019/20 Waiver Deadlines
Fall Semester 2019
Deadline: 9/13/2019 (No longer available)
Waives the student health insurance for the entire 2019/20 academic year.
Alternate policy must be effective no later than 9/1/2019.
Spring/Summer Semesters 2020
Waives the student health insurance for Spring and Summer semesters of 2020.
Alternate policy must be effective no later than 2/1/2020.
Summer Semester 2020
Waives the student health insurance for Summer semester of 2020.
Alternate policy must be active no later than 5/1/2020.