Online Master of Social Work
Advocate for Underserved Populations
People everywhere need dedicated social workers. In a range of settings, from schools and hospitals to prisons and nonprofits, new programs and job opportunities continue to expand as awareness surrounding access to health care grows.
With two available pathways, OHIO's accessible offerings can help you launch your clinical social work career, or advance in your current social work career. The Foundations track was created for those with a bachelor’s degree in any major who want to begin a social work career, while the Advanced track is available for recent social work graduates.
- 100% Online — Study on your schedule, not ours
- Graduate in as few as 24 months
- No GRE/GMAT required
- Three start dates per year
- Affordable tuition with financial aid options available
- OHIO is a proud military supporter and yellow ribbon institution
- Scholarships are available for Veterans & military members, employees of corporate partners and graduates of Ohio University bachelor degree programs. Learn more!
Mental Health and Substance Abuse
- Substance abuse counselor
- Marriage and family therapist
- Geriatric social worker
- LGBTQ and gender identity therapist
- Crisis counselor
Child, Youth and Family
- Child protective services caseworker
- Foster care social worker
- Eating disorder therapist
- Group therapist
- Nonprofit executive director
- Community outreach specialist
- Human resources specialist
- Grant writer
Looking to refocus or pivot your career? OHIO designed its online Foundation MSW degree for you. This 62-credit track is open to all eligible students with a bachelor’s degree and can be completed in as few as 10 semesters (40 months). Both the Foundation and Advanced Standing programs are part-time, designed to accommodate the schedules of working professionals pursuing an advanced degree.
The MSW Advanced Standing Program delivers an accelerated curriculum option for recent graduates of BSW programs accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE). The 10-course, 36-credit-hour program is designed to be completed in as little as two years (six semesters) — offering students the chance to explore strategies to help marginalized communities gain better access to social services.
Advancing Standing applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Have earned a bachelor’s degree in social work from a CSWE-accredited program within five years of graduate school admission
- Have a minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0
- Have a reference from their senior-year field instructor
- Submit a copy of the most recent evaluation of their senior year field placement
If you meet these minimum qualifications, we invite you to learn more about the MSW Advanced Standing Program.
Online MSW Field Practicums
Ohio University’s Online MSW Foundation Program and Advanced Standing Program have established relationships with over 500 agencies nationwide. Students attending the program will work with the Department of Social Work online field faculty to identify appropriate field placement settings in their geographic area.
Looking for an on-campus option? Both tracks are also available on the Athens campus.
Get your degree through OHIO Online™ – ranked the top college in Ohio for Online Education by Newsweek.