Chubu University Partnerships
Location: Kasugai City, Aichi Prefecture, Japan
- 1973, Chubu University President Dr. Kohei Miura and OHIO President Dr. Claude Sowle signed a formal agreement stating that the universities would exchange professors as a part of the Miura Visiting Professors program.
- 1979, Chubu University gave OHIO 175 Cherry Blossom Trees in recognition of OHIO's 175th anniversary. In 2003, Chubu University gave OHIO 94 Yoshino Cherry Trees and 9 Double Weeping Cherry Trees to replace damaged plants and to increase the total number of cherry trees at OHIO to 200, in honor of OHIO's bicentennial celebration. OHIO has created a website, Cherry Blossoms at Ohio University, to show images of the trees and to detail the history.
- 1993, when the two universities marked the 20th anniversary of their agreement, OHIO sent an identical replica of Cutler Hall's cupola to Chubu University.
- 2004, OHIO dedicated the Yamada International House, which was renovated and expanded thanks to a generous gift of 100 million yen, or approximately $850,000 from Chubu University in honor of its late President and Chancellor Kazuo Yamada.
- In November 2014, an OHIO delegation led by President Roderick McDavis visited Chubu University in celebration of their 50th Anniversary.
- 2015, Tanaka Residence Hall is opened, named in honor of Dr. Tomoyasu Tanaka and Mrs. Sumiko Tanaka. Dr. Tanaka was an Ohio University physics and astronomy faculty member from 1971-1989 and is widely considered the father of the OU-Chubu University relationship.
- 2017, Chubu delegation, led by President Osamu Ishihara, visited Athens for President M. Duane Nellis’ Investiture Ceremony.
- 2023, OHIO and Chubu celebrate the 50th Anniversary of partnership.
Areas of Partnership
- Faculty Exchange Programs
- Library Cooperation
- Chubu University Commemorative Japanese Collection and Chubu Reading Room in Alden Library at Ohio University
- The Ohio University Lounge in the Miura Memorial Library at Chubu University
- Library Staff Exchange Program
- Scholarships and Fellowships offered by OHIO
- The Charles J. Ping Graduate Fellowship
- The Charles J. Ping Tuition Scholarship
- The Ohio University College of Engineering Tuition Scholarship
- The Ohio University Mechanical Engineering Graduate Fellowship
- Scholarships and Fellowships offered by Chubu University
- The Chubu University Kazuo Yamada Fellowship
- Ryozo Ohnishi Graduate Fellowship (OHIO Student graduate study at Chubu)
- The Ohio Program of English Language Teaching (OPELT)
- Student Exchange and other activities