Nine Arts and Sciences retiring professors approved for emeriti status
The Ohio University Board of Trustees approved emeriti status at its June meeting for nine College of Arts and Sciences professors upon their retirement from Ohio University.
"Ohio University confers the status of Emeritus or Emerita Professor in recognition of a retiring faculty member's overall contributions to the university and to society," said Florenz Plassmann, dean of the College of Arts and Sciences. "Emeriti faculty retain special privileges, including full use of the library and email services, access to recreational facilities and educational benefits, and continued use of office space and other facilities, when available."
"I am very grateful for the many contributions and the considerable dedication to the College of Arts and Sciences and the University that our emeriti faculty have shown during their many years of service at Ohio University," Plassmann added.
The following College of Arts and Sciences faculty were granted emeriti status:
- Susan Burgess, 22 years, Distinguished Professor Emerita of Political Science
- Robert Colvin, 32 years, Professor Emeritus of Physiology
- Judith Grant, 19 years, Professor Emerita of Political Science
- Kenneth Hicks, 34 years, Professor Emeritus of Physics and Astronomy
- Arthur J. Hughes, 21 years, Professor Emeritus of Spanish
- William Owens, 33 years, Professor Emeritus of Classics
- Colleen Ruggieri, 11 years, Assistant Professor of Instruction Emerita in English
- William Shambora, 22 years, Associate Professor Emeritus of Economics
- Joseph Shields, 26 years, Vice President Emeritus for Research, Graduate Dean Emeritus, and Professor Emeritus of Physics and Astronomy