Search within:

Student Intern: Category Details

The Student Intern Category

The J-1 Exchange Visitor non-immigrant visa was created for individuals approved to participate in exchange programs in the United States. Ohio University has permission to issue visa paperwork for a number of exchange visitor categories. The Student Intern Category is intended to support internships that are part of a foreign degree program.

The following are some of the details of these categories.

  • Minimum duration is three weeks
  • Maximum duration is 1 year
  • The visitor must be invited by a host department
  • The visitor must currently be pursuing a degree at an accredited postsecondary academic institution outside of the U.S.
  • The internship at OHIO must fulfill the educational objectives for the degree program at the home institution
  • In addition to the standard J scholar paperwork, form DS 7002 undefined must be completed by the visitor and the host professor

Special Conditions on the Student Intern Category

Two Year Home Residence Requirement

Some J-1 Exchange Visitors (and their dependents) will be subject to the Two Year Home Residence Requirement, also known as INA 212(e). If subject, this rule requires the J visa holder to spend a total of two years in their home country before becoming eligible to obtain H, K, or L visa status, or to become a Permanent Resident of the U.S. It also prevents exchange visitors from applying for a change of status within the U.S.

There are several ways that a J scholar may become subject to the 212(e):

  • The J program is financed directly by the U.S. government
  • The J program is financed by the visitor’s home government
  • The exchange visitor’s country and field are designated on the Exchange Visitor Skills List

In some circumstances it is possible to request a waiver of the Two Year Home Residence Requirement. ISSS is not able to advise on this process. Details and instructions can be found on the Department of State website.