Search within:

Short-Term Scholar: Category Details

The Short-Term Scholar Category

The J-1 Exchange Visitor non-immigrant visa was created for individuals approved to participate in exchange programs in the United States. Ohio University has permission to issue visa paperwork for a number of exchange visitor categories. The Short-Term Scholar category is generally used for short visits to the university for the purposes of academic exchange and collaboration.

The following are some of the details of this category.

  • There is no required minimum duration
  • Maximum duration is 6 months
  • The visitor must be invited by a host department
  • The visitor may be paid by the university, or may bring funding from other sources
  • Extensions of the program are possible, but only up to the 6 month maximum
  • This visa cannot be used for tenure-track positions

Special Conditions on the Short-Term Scholar Category

Two Year Home Residence Requirement

Some J-1 Exchange Visitors (and their dependents) will be subject to the Two Year Home Residence Requirement, also known as INA 212(e). If subject, this rule requires the J visa holder to spend a total of two years in their home country before becoming eligible to obtain H, K, or L visa status, or to become a Permanent Resident of the U.S. It also prevents exchange visitors from applying for a change of status within the U.S.

There are several ways that a J scholar may become subject to the 212(e):

  • The J program is financed directly by the U.S. government
  • The J program is financed by the visitor’s home government
  • The exchange visitor’s country and field are designated on the Exchange Visitor Skills List

In some circumstances it is possible to request a waiver of the Two Year Home Residence Requirement. ISSS is not able to advise on this process. Details and instructions can be found on the Department of State website.